Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Online Courses in Medical Administration
Here are a few of the more common medical administration courses available via distance learning.
- Introduction to Medical Terminology for Administrators Course: This course teaches students the basic vocabulary of physiological structures, systems and functions. The students also learn diagnostic, laboratory and pathology abbreviations, words and phrases.
- Fundamentals of Medical Office Procedures Course: Students in this course learn to manage computer- and paper-based health information records, document treatment, troubleshoot systems and recover data. They also learn financial records management, accounting procedures and techniques to maintain patient privacy.
- Medical Insurance Billing Procedures for Administrators Course: In this course students learn how to fill out, process and archive forms from both private insurance companies and state and federal programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and workers compensation. The course shows how to ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines. Current medical technology system reporting structures are also addressed.
- Technical Writing and Transcription for the Medical Office Course: This course teaches students the basic grammar, vocabulary and syntax skills required for accurate completion of reports and documentation. Research, writing, composition and editing techniques are also presented. In addition, students develop transcription and formatting skills for common and emergency procedure reports.
- Ethics and Law in the Medical Office Course: Students learn to adhere to ethical standards, comply with governmental regulations and ensure patient privacy. Emerging legal issues such as chronic care, end-of-life and residency status are discussed. The course also teaches students basic legal terminology, examines the workings of the court system and reviews evolving healthcare reform regulations.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Course: In this course, students study the structure and organization of the human body. Coursework provides an overview of the body's major systems, including muscular, skeletal, digestive, circulatory, nervous and reproductive. There may be a lab component required.
- Healthcare Delivery Systems Course: In this course, students will learn about various services in healthcare and how they're financed and regulated. Other topics include theories in healthcare delivery systems, healthcare trends and staffing policies in the industry.
- Diagnosis Coding Systems Course: This course will help students to learn about medical coding via coding issues and the International Classification of Diseases Manual. The legal and ethical concepts of complying with that manual will also be considered.
Most online medical administration courses are offered as part of diploma, certificate, associate's or bachelor's degree programs in medical billing and coding, medical office administration or healthcare management. In addition to technical billing procedures, students in these programs learn effective oral and written communication skills, medical terminology, and ethical and legal considerations, such as privacy and healthcare laws compliance.
Medical administration classes are generally available completely online, but a few require students to complete internships or supervised practical experience. Students must have access to a computer with an Internet connection and, in some cases, a DVD drive, soundcard and speakers, and a Webcam.
Online medical administration courses are available via diploma, certificate, associate's and bachelor's degrees. Students will take courses in areas like medical office procedures, technical writing and human anatomy.