Many 2-year colleges, vocational schools and universities offer complete online degree programs geared towards students who want to manage the daily duties of a medical office. In these programs, students learn about the administrative tasks of the job, such as scheduling, accounting and record keeping. They also take classes in medical terminology and anatomy.
Such programs often culminate in a professional diploma, an Associate of Applied Science in Medical Assisting Services, or a Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management. Upon graduation, students are qualified for work in a variety of positions, including medical secretaries, medical clerks or medical office assistants.
Online Medical Secretary Courses
|Human Anatomy and Physiology||Examines the main anatomical systems of the body|
|Medical Terminology||Introduces the language of medicine|
|Medical Office Procedures||Provides an overview of the administrative functionality of a medical office|
|Medical Insurance Billing||Covers medical insurance, billing and coding|
|Medical Coding||Introduces the common medical coding processes for billing, collection and insurance claims|
Let's go over a sample of online courses commonly available for medical secretaries.
- In an online Human Anatomy and Physiology Course, students gain an understanding of the different structures and functions of the body. The course examines the main anatomical systems of the body, including the muscular, nervous, skeletal and cardiovascular systems.
- Medical Terminology Courses introduce students to the language of medicine. Students develop a medical vocabulary by studying structures, functions and treatment protocols of body systems. The course begins with a study of the foundation of medical terminology and word building. Course topics include pharmaceutical terms, generic name drugs and common abbreviations.
- In a Medical Office Procedures Course, students gain an overview of the administrative tasks and duties performed in a medical office. Students also gain an understanding of basic accounting, medical record keeping, word processing and human resource management principles. The course also covers ethics.
- A Medical Insurance Billing Course covers medical insurance, billing and coding. The curriculum addresses reimbursement methods, types of health insurance, compliance issues and insurance claim processing.
- A Medical Coding Course introduces students to the common medical coding processes used for billing, collection and insurance claims. Students will learn how to use medical coding to maintain standard recordkeeping practices in an office setting.
Students who want to take online courses to become a medical secretary or medical office assistant can study human anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, medical office procedures, medical insurance billing, and medical coding through an online diploma program.