Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Clinical Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Direct-Entry Midwifery - LM, CPM
- Licensed Vocational Nurse Training
- Mental Health Nursing
- Neonatal Nursing
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Nurse Assistant or Patient Care Assistant
- Nurse Midwife
- Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing for Adults and Seniors
- Nursing Science
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Operating Room and Surgical Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Public Health Nurse or Community Nurse
- Registered Nurse
Online Courses for Nurse Practitioners
The following descriptions highlight commonly offered online nurse practitioner courses.
- Nursing Concepts Course: This course helps students evaluate and analyze nursing principles and theories. From the history of nursing to current trends in the industry, students explore how education, practice and knowledge development fit into the role of the nurse practitioner.
- Family Nurse Practitioner Course: Students in this class develop an understanding of family health care, emphasizing the theories of health care that apply to children and women. This course provides students with experience in diagnosing, assessing and managing acute and chronic diseases in families and children. The course focuses on determining the role of the nurse practitioner in providing health care for families.
- Epidemiology Principles Course: This course provides students with an introduction to the procedures and principles of epidemiology. This class is designed for government and private sector health professionals responsible for investigating the causes of disease.
- Advanced Pediatric Pharmacology Course: In this class, students gain an understanding of the advanced concepts of pediatric pharmacology. The course explores the administration of medicine and medications commonly prescribed to pediatric patients. Emphasis is placed on medications for the gastro-intestinal, cardio-respiratory and genitourinary systems. Students learn which antibiotic and dermatological medications and vaccines are the most effective in pediatric patients.
- Principles of Advanced Physiology Course: Students gain knowledge of human physiology and anatomy in this class. The course places emphasis on the physiological principles that nurse practitioners need to know. The course features research performed on molecular, biochemical and organ system functions, along with age-related physiological theories through an individual's life span.
- Differential Diagnosis Course: This course trains students for the diagnostic responsibilities of a nurse practitioner. Studies focus on holistic patient assessment, covering subjects such as symptom identification, physical and psychological evaluation, and patient histories.
- Advanced Pathophysiology Course: In this course, students will learn about various human physiological responses to pathologies. Students will learn about analyzing and evaluating techniques.
- Leadership and Role of the Advanced Practice Nurse Course: This course will examine the responsibilities of an advanced practice nurse (APN). Topics include legal and ethical concerns for APNs, and various social, political and regulations that are associated within the healthcare industry.
Students interested in online nurse practitioner courses must typically have a bachelor's degree in nursing or otherwise possess a registered nurse license in their state. Although some nurse practitioner courses are offered totally online, many require students to complete a clinical component at a hospital or medical site.
Students enrolled in nurse practitioner courses online may earn a family nurse practitioner certificate or master's-level degree. Graduates may find employment opportunities at clinics, hospitals, government health care agencies and in private practice.
Online nurse practitioners are available through certificate and master's degrees. Students will study coursework like nursing concepts, epidemiology principles and differential diagnosis.