Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Online Classes in Office Administration and Medical Coding
Here are some descriptions of commonly offered online classes in office administration and medical coding.
- Medical Office Procedures Class: This online class introduces students to the essential administrative duties of a medical office. Students learn various office financial management processes, including accounting principles, collecting and entering payments, medical record management, processing insurance forms and human resource administration.
- Operations of a Medical Business Office Class: The essential ethical and legal guidelines, as well as the administrative aspects of medical billing, are discussed in this class. Students learn about scheduling appointments, customer service procedures, interpersonal communications, acquiring reimbursements and other issues involving health information systems.
- Medical Terminology Class: Students develop their knowledge of medical vocabulary and the language of medicine. The class focuses on different structures of the medical field, including diagnostic procedures, medications, pathology and various methods of treatment, while using the right terminology in the office.
- Health Information Systems Class: This class teaches students about fundamental computer principles and the use of computers for electronic records. Students in this class learn to use electronic medical records to submit patient examinations, health issues, disorders and billing information using the correct coding.
- Basics of Computerized Billing Class: Medisoft, the billing and coding software used in medical facilities, is introduced to students in this class. Students learn to enter patient information, create and print insurance forms and monthly statements, generate various medical reports, process patient transactions and process insurance and billing claims.
- Medical Coding Class: This course focuses on the American Medical Association's standard codes for diagnoses and procedures. Students will learn about the principles and guidelines for using these codes in hospitals, medical offices and insurance offices.
- Organizational Communications Class: This course helps students build the communication skills they will need for success in medical office environments. For instance, they develop their abilities to write understandable reports, clearly document procedures and communicate effectively with doctors, nurses, facility managers and other staff through email and direct conversations.
- Customer Service Class: Individuals who work in medical offices often interact directly with patients over the phone or when they arrive for appointments. In this course, students learn how to listen to patients' needs and develop strategies to help solve their problems. The course details skills to leave the callers feeling good about the interaction and likely to return to the facility for medical care in the future.
Students enrolled in online office administration and medical coding classes may earn a diploma or certificate in medical office administration or pursue such degrees as an Associate of Science in Medical Office Administration or a Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management. Graduates of these programs may find work in doctors' offices, hospitals, insurance offices and public health clinics.
For students who want to prepare for jobs in medical offices, online courses in office administration and medical coding can provide valuable career preparation. Courses cover topics such as customer service, medical terminology and office procedures and may lead to a diploma, certificate or degree.