Online Courses in Pediatric Nursing
The overviews below detail some commonly offered online pediatric nursing courses and classes.
- Primary Care Well-Child Course: This type of course discusses pediatric health in a primary care setting. The nursing student studies health assessment procedures in children from newborn to late adolescence. Disease prevention and child development are common topics covered in this online course.
- Family Health in Pediatric Care Course: Family health, habits and dynamics are evaluated for their effects on childhood health and wellness. The student is introduced to assessment models and strategies for intervention. Child development and contemporary parenting trends are part of the coursework.
- Pediatric Illness and Conditions Course: Common health concerns and more serious chronic conditions are explored. This online course primarily discusses normal child development and the physiological processes that may cause illness. The student also gains an overview of genetic, familial and environmental factors in child health.
- Pediatric Mental Health Course: The psychiatric needs of children and adolescents are discussed with emphasis on evaluation and family health. The student should expect to gain clinical assessment tools and an introduction to condition management strategies. Intervention while maintaining developmental and cultural sensitivity is a major consideration in a pediatric mental health course.
- Advanced Pediatric Health Assessment Course: In this course students will practice giving an in-depth assessment of patients from childhood through adolescence, particularly patients suffering health or developmental difficulties. Students will learn to use advanced diagnostic reasoning methods, focusing on the patient history and cultural background.
- Advanced Pathophysiology Course: In this course, students will examine various diseases which affect organs in the human body. Causes and symptoms will be covered.
- Pharmacology for the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Course: In this course, students will explore the diagnoses and appropriate methods for the delivery of medications in pediatrics. Topics include drug complications, toxicity and how drugs are accurately chosen.
Registered nurses wishing to advance in the field often take advantage of online graduate nursing programs, which commonly offer a concentration in pediatrics, and then complete their clinical courses either on-campus or at another convenient, program-approved location. Many programs will also require students to complete an internship or extensive clinical component. Registered nurses (RNs) who take pediatric courses often seek certification as nurse practitioners, pediatric trauma nurses, neo-natal nurses, school nurses or public health nurses. Post-master's certificate programs are available online, in addition to a Master of Science in Nursing degree or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing to a Doctor of Nursing Practice program.
Online pediatric nursing courses are available though graduate-level certificates, in addition to bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs. Course topics include pharmacology in pediatric medicine, advanced pathophysiology and mental health.