Online Courses in Physical Chemistry
The courses listed below are some examples of physical chemistry courses that universities and colleges offer in an online or hybrid format.
- Chemical Research Course: This course explores chemistry research skills and reporting methodology. Students learn the proper safety techniques when working with chemicals in a lab setting. Computer usage in the lab is also covered.
- Foundations of Physical Chemistry Course: This introductory class covers topics such as the Periodic Table of Elements, atomic structure and chemical bonds. Instructors discuss quantum theory and how it is applied to chemistry.
- Quantum Mechanics Course: Quantum mechanics uses mathematical theory and physics to explain chemical interactions and properties. The class features an in-depth study of quantum mechanics, including advanced mathematical formulas like the Schrödinger equation.
- Advanced Physical Chemistry Course: This course continues the study of quantum statistical mechanics of thermodynamics with a focus on solids and liquids. Concepts in kinetics and thermodynamics are explained in relation to the behavior of chemical reactions.
- Physical Organic Chemistry Course: This course explores both theoretical and physical organic chemistry, which is the study of matter containing carbon. Topics include stereochemistry and chemical bonding.
- Scientific Computing Skills Course: Students will learn about the use of software in chemistry. Topics include how computers are used for plotting data on graphs and how to chart chemical reactions.
- Introduction to Chemical Biology Course: This course will teach students about chemical signals and metabolic functions. Additional areas of study include enzymes, biosynthesis and the structures of biological elements.
Physical chemistry is an advanced topic of study that is usually found as part of bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree programs. Coursework in physical chemistry can be found in a fully online format; some courses, especially at the graduate level, require brief periods of attendance in hybrid classes for lab work and certain on-campus lectures. Coursework typically emphasizes the physical changes occurring in chemical reactions. Study of physical chemistry can lead to careers in various fields, such as astrochemistry, chrystallography, and nuclear chemistry. There are also free online course options.
Students can study physical chemistry courses online through free classes or bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. Focus will be on topics like organic chemistry, quantum mechanics and chemical research.