Online Courses in Programmable Logic
Below are some of the courses related to programmable logic that can often be found online.
- Basic Electricity and Wiring for Computers Course: This course teaches students the fundamental principles of electricity, as well as how to handle electrical tools and general safety principles. Students also learn to interpret schematics and wiring diagrams for electrical components and systems.
- Fundamentals of Programmable Logic Controllers Course: Students learn the common and unique parts of various PLCs by examining different devices. They describe logic circuits and define the differences between small and modular PLCs. They also study programming software and discuss the functions of counters, switches, sequencers and timers. Ladder logic programming is introduced, and students examine input and output instructions.
- Advanced Programmable Logic Controllers Course: This course builds on students' knowledge of the fundamentals by designing and building PLCs from schematics and wiring diagrams. In addition, students differentiate between analog and digital techniques, examine subroutines and manipulate data. They troubleshoot entire systems containing PLCs, locate faults, repair damaged components and restart the systems.
- Design of Gate Arrays Course: In this course students design and deploy different types of gate arrays using various hardware description languages, such as Verilog and C variants. They review design-based performance predictors and discuss operation enhancement techniques. Modeling, benchmarks, algorithm development, implementation technologies, device architectures and simulation are also presented.
- Automation and Robotics in Manufacturing Course: Automated manufacturing theory and operation is explained. Topics include Computer Numerically Controlled Machines (CNC) and robotics as well as PLCs. Students design and program computer controlled machine logic. A course in electricity may be prerequisite.
- Industrial Control and PLC Operation Course: In this course, students learn about the operation and maintenance of industrial automated systems. Topics of study include the different types of instruments, control methods, calibration and programming protocols.
- PLC Simulation Course: In this course, distance learning students can get hands-on experience by using advanced technology that simulates industrial process equipment and sensors. As a result, they can build their skills using conveyors, batch mixing tanks, pumps and bottling machines.
Online classes in PLC theory, design, maintenance and repair can satisfy some requirements needed for a variety of degree programs, such as the computer support specialist associate's degree or bachelor's degrees in manufacturing technology, information technology, computer information systems or computer science. Online training offered by businesses, professional organizations and schools can lead to certificates in computer programming, information technology and computer engineering technology.
For individuals who want to learn about the theories and applications of programmable logic, there are a variety of relevant online educational opportunities available.