Online Courses in Project Management Engineering
Below are some common online options for those interested in project management engineering courses.
- Introductory Project Management Course: Typically taken at the beginning of a master's program, students receive instruction on the inner workings of the planning, implementation and execution of an engineering project. Prospective project managers learn the process associated with the management and organization of complex projects.
- Communication in Project Management Course: The importance of solid written and oral communication is taught in this class, usually offered at the beginning of a master's program. Future project managers take with them the ability to simply and effectively explain technical information about a specific project to the lay public.
- Project Management Economic Course:In this course, students are taught the fundamentals of accounting and finance. Project managers of the future learn how to budget and manage costs associated with technical projects. This class is normally offered at the intermediate level of a master's program.
- Engineering Law Course: Taken towards the end of a master's program, class instruction provides students important insight into the critical role specific tenets of the law play in the engineering process. Prospective project managers gain knowledge of laws, which if disobeyed or misunderstood, could lead to lengthy and costly delays during their tenure as project managers.
- Managing Project Quality Course: Part of the responsibility of a project manager is to oversee product quality and meet objectives within given requirements. This course covers many of the quantitative tools necessary to control quality. The techniques offered in this course are usually practiced internationally.
- Converting Strategy into Action Course: This course offers students a different look at modern principles of project management. A fresh perspective on a new framework for lining up an organization's project and goals will be stressed.
- Executing Complex Programs Course: In this online course, students will be taught about advanced skills for success in project management. Specific topics include team management and how to manage projects with different strategies.
Several academic institutions offer fully online or hybrid degree programs in project management engineering. These programs can ready students for managerial and executive jobs on many different engineering or technical projects, or for self-employment. These programs, presented at the graduate level, are typically offered to distance learners with significant professional experience. Many already hold a bachelor's degree in computer science or an engineering discipline.
Engineering project management courses studied at the master's level might be part of a Master of Engineering in Project Management or a Master of Science in Engineering Management. In addition to distance courses, master's degree candidates might be required to complete a major capstone project. There are, however, certificate programs available as well.
Online project management engineering courses are available through certificate programs and master's degree programs and are often designed for those with experience in the field. Important study topics include business strategies, communication and engineering law.