Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
Online Courses for Reading Specialists
The following online courses for reading specialists are part of graduate certificate and degree programs.
- Introduction to Literacy Course: The course lays the foundation for teaching reading, covering techniques at the beginning, middle and advanced stages of learning. The course also covers topics such as evaluation tools, comprehension, syntax and vocabulary.
- Overview of Reading Disabilities Course: The course teaches methods for identifying reading problems. Students become familiar with the tools and strategies for diagnosing and correcting trouble areas in reading.
- Assessment for Instruction Course: Students learn about standardized testing and classroom assessments as a way to adapt reading instruction. They learn to interpret test results to determine reading strengths and weaknesses in both mainstream and special needs settings.
- Reading Strategies Course: The course discusses the research and methods for teaching reading at multiple levels and to students with diverse backgrounds. Students learn ways to address reading one-on-one and in a group, covering topics such as fluency, phonics and vocabulary.
- Foundations of Reading Instruction Course: This course introduces students to modern approaches to the teaching of reading, appraising the results of reading instruction and surveys the literature and publications that deal with reading instruction.
- Responding to Children's and Young Adult Literature Course: This course will focus on a historical perspective of children's and young adult literature and how it was used in the classroom. Topics also include eBooks and other technology used for reading.
- Basic Word Study Course: In this course, students will learn about teaching words to post-second grade classes. Focus is placed on reading research, phonics and spelling.
Distance education reading specialist courses are available primarily for working educators or recent college graduates who want to focus their study and professional work on literacy. Classes are typically offered post-baccalaureate as certificate, master's or post-master's programs. Reading specialist programs introduce prevailing research and theories on literacy and the strategies needed to improve reading skills. Most programs also provide instruction on challenges facing readers who are not native speakers and who have special needs. Most states require a combination of training and testing to be licensed as a reading specialist.
Study online reading specialist courses through certificate, master's and post-master's programs. You'll study topics like literacy, reading strategies and children's and adult literature.