Online Reflexology Courses
Some of the most commonly offered online reflexology courses include:
- Foundations of Reflexology: In this course, students learn the fundamental concepts of how reflexology works. Coursework explains how the practice can be used in complementary pain management therapy and stress relief. Study is self-paced and includes video demonstrations of reflexology techniques.
- Introduction to Natural Health and Healing This course serves as an introduction to the wide variety of current natural health and healing methods, including the health benefits of naturopathy, hydrotherapy, yoga and reflexology. Classwork also examines other wellness and health practices such as T'ai Chi, visualization and dieting.
- Reflexology Assessments: Assessment of a patient's current health status is an important process in reflexology. Students in an assessment course review client history taking and treatment plans. Classes also cover the SOAP (subjective, objective, assessment and plan) method of recording a client's condition.
- Face Reflexology: This course explores the means through which reflexologists can utilize the face to impact the entire body. Students learn about specific techniques used in face reflexology, including the three major face routines as well as manipulating the reflexology maps located on the face.
- Reflexology of the Hands and Feet: Sometimes available as a hybrid class, this course teaches basic reflexology techniques and how they may be applied to the hands and feet. Chinese energy meridians and major energy chakras may be explored as well.
- Advanced Reflexology: Students in this course gain a broad understanding of techniques related to the hands, feet and ears. They also learn about business plans and ethics protocols. If part of a certificate or degree program, this course often prepares enrollees for their practicum or final research project that is needed to graduate.
Reflexology courses rely heavily on practical training, so nearly all of them must be completed in-person. A handful of online or hybrid bachelor's and master's programs in alternative medicine include courses in reflexology, as do some associate's programs in holistic health. Professional nurses may also take online reflexology classes to fulfill the continuing education requirements of their licensure.
Reflexology courses are often designed to prepare graduates for the national certification exam administered by the American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB). Those who successfully complete reflexology courses may pursue careers in various areas, including massage therapy, yoga instruction and more.
Online reflexology courses are rare, though some hybrid programs are available at the certificate and associate's levels. Topics of study may include natural health and reflexology of the face, hands and feet.