Nurse Refresher Courses Available Online
Here are descriptions of some of the nursing refresher courses that individuals can find online.
- Medical Law and Ethics Course: In this course, legal and ethical issues specific to nursing are reviewed, including standards of care and nursing values. The American Nurses Association (ANA) code of ethics is also a topic of study.
- Medication Administration Course: Students taking this course go over different types of medications, systems of administration and safe techniques for administration of drugs. Prescription abbreviations and calculations for medications are also reviewed.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing Course: This course provides a comprehensive review of medical and surgical nursing topics including infection control, nutrition and elimination. Specific nursing care for patients with a variety of conditions such as cancer, diabetes or surgery is taught. This course is often implemented in clinical practicum in which online theory is translated into actual practice.
- Psychiatric Nursing Course: Students review psychiatric disorders such as depression or schizophrenia in this online course along with appropriate psychiatric nursing methods. Mental health issues such as mourning and grief are another focus.
- Health Risk Management Course: This course stresses patient safety, minimizing liability and ensuring the best quality outcome for medical procedures and treatment programs.
- Alzheimer's Disease Course: In this continuing education course, nurses get an overview of Alzheimer's disease and dementia. Topics of study include risk factors, clinical symptoms, diagnostic procedures and treatment methods.
- Domestic Violence Education Course: This continuing education course explores domestic violence from the perspective of medical health professionals, including nurses. Students learn about the physical and psychological effects of abuse, the laws surrounding the subject and the community resources available to victims.
Online refresher courses for registered nurses (RNs) are available on a limited basis. Since most states require both classroom and clinical education for re-licensure, many nurse refresher programs involve both components. Most online programs are in hybrid format, with the theory-based learning taking place online and the clinical practicum completed at a nearby medical facility or setting. Nurses are licensed by individual states, and education requirements vary. Prospective students are encouraged to check course and school qualifications before enrollment in an online or hybrid refresher program.
Nurses who need to earn continuing education credits to renew their licenses can find relevant courses in a wide range of specialized subjects available online.