Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Electromechanical Technologies
- Electronic Communications Engineering
- Instrumentation Technologies
- Laser and Optical Technologies
- Robotics Technologies
- Telecommunications Technologies
Online Courses in Robotics
The robotics courses described below are often available via online learning.
- History of Robotics Course: This course introduces students to the chronology of robotics, with a focus on its impact on automation and manufacturing. Students review the advantages of current robotic systems and their limitations.
- Robotic Engineering Course: In this course, the student designs and constructs a robot to complete simple tasks that are part of a game. Students learn how to program robots for industrial work. They survey the programming needed to make a robot identify an object, pick it up and move it.
- Artificial Intelligence and Logic Controllers Course: This online course examines the foundations of artificial intelligence. Students learn about the hardware needed to build and program a controller that directs motor functions, power and tools of the robot.
- Blueprint Reading and Solid Modeling Course: Students learn to read blueprints used in the manufacturing industry. Topics such as isometric views, orthographic views and assembly blueprints are discussed. Students also examine technical and engineering designs.
- Principles of AC/DC Circuits Course: Students learn the basics of electricity and electronics. They learn how to interpret electronic schematics and to test electronic equipment for use in automated systems and robotics. This course teaches students to identify electrical problems and to use the right tools to correct problems. Proper safety procedures and time management skills are also covered.
- Computer Vision Course: This advanced course explores how computers can be programmed to respond to images. Students learn image recognition techniques such as edge detection, texture analysis and pattern classification. Prerequisites may include one or more courses in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics or Digital Image Processing.
- Foundation in Application Development Course: In this course, students examine computer programs and how they're written. Topics also cover Integrated Development Environment tools and Software Development Kits.
- Interactive Scripting in Virtual Environment Course: This course examine concepts in virtual reality. Additional topics include animation control and proper objects associated with computer science.
Online robotics courses may be part of a master's program in robotics engineering or in mechanical engineering. Employment opportunities include working as technicians in the automotive, computer, industrial electronics or aerospace industries. Graduates may also work in education as high school science teachers, though education coursework and a teaching practicum would also be required. Individual online courses are also available, in addition to bachelor's degrees.
Interested students can study online robotics courses through standalone classes, and bachelor's and master's degree programs. Topics include computer vision, artificial intelligence and robotic engineering.