Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Hazardous Materials Information Systems
- Industrial Safety Technologies
- Occupational Safety Technologies
- Quality Control Technologies
Online Courses for Safety Supervisors
A few of the safety supervisor courses available online are described below.
- Safety and Accident Prevention Course: This course discusses OSHA development, enforcement methods and standards. Students learn about the seven major causal theories for accidents, as well as prevention methodology. Ergonomics, mechanical injuries and hazards are examined.
- Safety Engineering Course: In this course, students learn about the safety supervisor's role in project planning and design. Job hazard analysis, recognition and control are topics covered. Students learn to analyze and control multiple hazards in a project, including materials and electrical hazards.
- Hazardous Materials Course: This course covers handling, storage and waste management of hazardous and toxic substances. Students learn how to handle accidents involving hazardous materials according to OSHA guidelines. Students also receive first aid training.
- Fire Protection Technology Course: Students gain a comprehensive understanding of the design and installation of various fire protection systems. They also learn to recognize and use different fire extinguishers.
- Emergency Management Course: Students are trained in disaster planning and preparedness. Risk assessment techniques and terrorism threats are discussed. Students design and implement emergency plans in order to lessen the risk of injury or damage in an emergency situation.
- HAZMAT Technician Annual Refresher Course: This course is designed for individuals who are already HAZMAT certified and wish to maintain that certification.
- Back Safety Course: In this course, students will examine preventative measures in back safety. Lifting techniques, proper body mechanics and other methods of avoiding back strain will be covered.
- Electrical Safety in Construction Course: This course will address the danger of electricity. Electrical hazards will be addressed and how to make sure safety around electricity will be practiced.
Some online safety supervisor courses are aimed at individuals with related work experience and a desire for job advancement or improvement, while others are geared towards students who wish to enter the field. As such, some are offered as standalone courses, and some are part of certificate or degree programs, such as in safety management or occupational safety. Degree levels include associate's, bachelor's and master's.
Coursework trains students to interpret, manage and maintain safety issues in construction zones or other business settings to comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards. Voluntary certifications are available through organizations like the American Board of Industrial Hygiene and typically have both an education and experience requirement. Safety supervisor coursework can lead to employment as an occupational health supervisor or project manager, though such jobs usually require a minimum of a bachelor's degree.
Online safety supervisor courses are offered as individual courses and through certificate and degree programs. Topics include electrical safety, back safety and fire protection technology.