Online Courses for Safety Technicians
Here are some of the commonly found safety technician courses that students can take online.
- OSHA Construction Course: Some states require workers at construction sites to take a ten-hour course in OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) regulations. In this introductory course, students learn about compliance with OSHA rules and regulations as applicable to construction work sites. OSHA inspection procedures, fire protection and aisle safety are discussed. Students are familiarized with safety procedures for electrical work, welding and cutting and scaffolding.
- OSHA General Industry Course: This course is offered as an introduction to general OSHA regulations. The class covers federal rules for preventative safety measures and safety procedures on industrial sites of different types. It is generally geared toward safety supervisors or managers.
- Safety Management Course: Students in a safety management class learn to identify major hazards in workplace settings, design and implement safety programs and protocols, and adhere to proper reactive safety procedures. Class also covers data collection and interpretation.
- Hazardous Materials Course: In this course, students learn about the different categories and characteristics of hazardous materials. Proper handling and disposal procedures are discussed. Coursework includes study of the legal requirements and correct procedures in responding to hazardous waste accidents.
- Regulatory Environment Course: Students learn of the many agencies involved in safety regulation. Subjects covered include safety inspections performed by different agencies, the authority held by various agencies and the penalties that might be imposed by those authorities.
- Legal Aspects of Fire Safety Course: This course provides an overview of fire safety-related litigation. Students learn legally mandated fire protection precautions that protect the health and safety of employees and the public.
- Safety Training Strategies Course: In this course, aspiring safety technicians learn how to design occupational training programs for managers and employees to ensure that they comply with all health and safety standards. Concepts of adult learning and technical training are emphasized.
Online courses for safety technicians can be found as part of certificate, bachelor's and master's degree programs in occupational safety. These classes explain the local and federal safety laws as well as proper safety procedures. Some programs are presented in a hybrid format in which a portion of the coursework, such as an internship, must be attended on campus or at a work site. Depending on the course, students may have labs that require on-campus participation, as well.
Aspiring safety technicians can find online courses that cover a variety of topics related to safety, particularly in workplace environments. Online programs are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels.