Online Graduate Courses in Special Education
Below are examples of commonly offered online graduate-level special education courses.
- Orientation to the Exceptional Child Course: This course provides an overview of the different categories of the exceptional child. Students will be introduced to the different special education laws and their implications. Students will also compare and contrast the characteristics of learners with and without exceptional learning needs.
- Models, Theories, and Instructional Strategies Course: In this course, students will be provided with an overview of methodologies used in teaching students with special needs from early childhood on, with an emphasis on students with learning disabilities, mental retardation, and emotional handicaps. The course explores the relationship between individual student characteristics and the development of the Individualized Education Program.
- Characteristics of Learning Disabilities Course: This course examines the characteristics of students with learning disabilities. Causes attributed to learning disabilities in regards to the learning process are examined. Various assessment techniques and the utilization of appropriate classroom materials are analyzed, while evaluative and curriculum modifications for students are also explored.
- Diagnosis and Corrections of Reading Disabilities Course: This course is designed to provide knowledge for the student in the use of assessments in appraising an individual student's skill in reading. The utilization of a literacy profile and other techniques for the diagnosis and prescription of reading difficulties will be emphasized.
- Overview of Special Education Law Course: In this course, students study the development and changes of special education from a historical and legal perspective. Subjects covered typically include policies, ethics, responsibilities and contemporary research.
- Fundamentals of Special Education Course: This course will help students to become acclimated with modern theories in special education. Current trends in research, evaluations in education and the history of special education will all be analyzed.
- Learning Technologies and Disabilities Course: This course will address the use of assistive and adaptive technology. How to use these technologies in the classroom to help students with disabilities will be examined.
Online special education graduate courses are usually tailored toward students looking to pursue their master's degree or a graduate certificate in special education. Online courses are available for students interested in different special education concentrations, including dyslexia, culturally and linguistically diverse learners, and severe disabilities.
Graduate courses in special education can be taken through online graduate certificate and master's degree programs. Specifically, topics include special education law, learning technologies to help disabled students and reading disabilities will be covered.