Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
Online Courses in TV Electronics
The online electronics courses below can be helpful for those interested in learning TV repair.
- Elementary Electronics Course: This course introduces basic concepts of electronic theory and defines terminology such as voltage, resistance, current and capacity. It trains students to use diagnostic and repair tools such as amplifiers, oscilloscopes and resistors. The syllabus also includes topics on preventive measures against accidents, safety equipment and first aid.
- Introduction to AC/DC Course: Students learn the similarities and differences between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC). They study the history, usage and applications of each. They also use test equipment, interpret schematics, design circuits and install components in both AC and DC systems.
- Electronic Devices Course: The curriculum for this course presents detailed and advanced operating techniques for electronic measurement devices such as oscillators, capacitors and voltmeters. It also demonstrates troubleshooting, maintenance, test and repair procedures.
- Small Appliance Course: Students learn the operating principles of household appliances. They identify components, review schematics, compare wiring diagrams, develop troubleshooting skills and diagnose issues to evaluate problems and make repairs.
- Digital Electronics Course: For students interested in digital television technology, this course explains how electronic circuits function within digital devices. Combinational and synchronous logic circuit designs are discussed. Topics within computer science, such as binary arithmetic and Boolean algebra, play a large role in this class.
- TV and Video Course: This class covers the various elements involved in television and video electronics. Topics include signal transmission, HDTV vs. analog, MPEG2 compression and multicasting.
- Magnetic Principles and Generators Course: This course provides students with an understanding of the laws and principles of magnetism. Rowland's law, magnetic shields and oscilloscopes may all be covered.
Television repair technicians typically complete on-the-job training and certifications. However, some gain hands-on training in vocational schools and community colleges. Certificate, associate's degree, and bachelor's degree programs in electronics technology, technology studies and electromechanical technology offer some online coursework in basic electronics. Graduates of electronics programs are qualified to work in electronic home entertainment installation and repair, which includes working on televisions.
In some distance learning courses, students use specialized electronic equipment such as an oscilloscope. They may also practice wiring, soldering and installing diodes and chips. While some classes provide this equipment to online students, others may not.
While online courses specifically in television electronics may not be readily available, there are options in electronics at the undergraduate certificate and degree levels. These courses will teach students about small appliances, digital electronics, television electronics and AC/DC.