Online Courses in Technical Illustration
The following list is a sample of some of the commonly offered courses related to technical illustration that can be found online.
- Fundamentals of Technical Illustration Course: This class emphasizes the use of computer-generated graphics for technical illustration. Course content includes pictorial, axonometric and perspective drawing. Students review and practice shading, shadowing, design problem-solving, photo-realistic rendering and 3D animations.
- Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Course: Contemporary technical illustrators often use computer-aided drafting techniques to complete professional projects. These courses cover geometric construction, sections, auxiliaries, sketching, detail drawing, lettering and dimensioning. Students generate computer-aided drawings and presentations suitable for work in the fields of landscape or interior design, architecture and engineering.
- Illustrations Using Engineering Graphics Course: This course presents information on engineering drawing techniques, including auxiliary, pictorial and sectional views. It also discusses geometric dimensioning and orthographic projection. Lessons combine manual drafting and computer-aided drafting techniques to formulate accurate 2-dimensional engine and machine drawings.
- Architectural Drafting Course: Students learn the skills necessary to create 2-dimensional residential plans. Sketching, lettering, shape description, geometric construction and size description are emphasized. Content spans manual and computer-aided drafting, architectural guidelines, building codes and the design methods necessary to produce accurate architectural drawings.
- Perspective Drawing Course: This course will emphasize techniques in perspective drawing for conveying spatial and design intent. Students will learn how to use shadowing methods, as well as human figures, environmental elements, and inanimate objects to enhance perspective.
- Desktop Publishing Course: In this course, students will be introduced to a Mac version of Adobe InDesign. Design skills will be covered, in addition to other software applications like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Word.
- Introduction to Digital Imaging Course: This course teaches students about imaging software for editing and the creation of computer graphics. Color management will be discussed, as well as strategies in digital editing, like layering and montaging.
Online technical illustration training is offered through individual courses, as well as certificate programs, undergraduate degree programs, and graduate degree programs. Fields of study can include graphic design, illustration, design technology, interior design, architectural drafting and graphic information technology. Some programs feature open enrollment for students who want to take a single credit or noncredit course. Certain courses require access to specialized software for technical illustration or computer-aided design. Students may also need access to a scanner and digital camera. Program graduates work in diverse fields, including computer game design, animation, freelance art and more. They may also work as comic book, magazine or advertising illustrators.
Students can explore technical illustration online through standalone classes and certificate programs, as well as associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Topics include perspective drawing, computer-aided drafting and architectural drafting.