School and Ranking Information
Indianapolis is home to only one postsecondary institution that offers operations management studies; however, several highly ranked schools within 100 miles of the city have both undergraduate and graduate degree programs in this field. The following institutions are considered the top three schools in the Indianapolis area for operations management courses based on rankings, graduation rates and levels of study offered:
- Winner: Purdue University - Main Campus emerges as the winner because it is the largest school in the Indianapolis area with operations management studies, and it also has the highest graduation rates among the three schools. Its national and undergraduate and graduate business program rankings are higher than that of the other schools.
- Runner Up #1: Ball State University places second because its business programs rank below that of Purdue University and it has a lower graduation rate; however, it is located closer to Indianapolis and is the only other school offering a master's degree (in addition to a bachelor's) in operations management.
- Runner Up #2: Named as the second runner up is Indiana State University, whose business programs ranked below the other two schools. It also has the lowest graduation rate of the three schools. It awards a bachelor's degree in operations management.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Purdue University - Main Campus||Ball State University||Indiana State University|
|Rankings|| Graduate production/operations management program ranked seventh in the country in 2013*
Undergraduate production/operations management program ranked third in the country in 2013*
Graduate business school ranked 44th in the country in 2013*
Undergraduate business programs ranked 22nd in the country in 2013*
|Undergraduate business programs ranked 159th in the country in 2013*||Undergraduate business programs ranked 194th in the country in 2013*|
|Location||West Lafayette, Indiana (56.2 miles from Indianapolis, Indiana)||Muncie, Indiana (49.5 miles from Indianapolis, Indiana)||Terre Haute, Indiana (69.9 miles from Indianapolis, Indiana)|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$9,900 (in-state, undergraduate and graduate)**, $28,702 (out-of-state, undergraduate and graduate)**||$8,980 (in-state, undergraduate)**, $23,650 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**; $8,328 (in-state, graduate)**, $19,806 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$8,098 (in-state, undergraduate)**, $17,644 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**|
|Operations Management Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, master's and doctorate||Bachelor's and master's||Bachelor's|
|Operations Management Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2012||N/A||12**||1**|
|Most Popular Operations Management Programs in 2012||N/A||Bachelor's (12 awarded in 2012)**||N/A|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2006 Entering Class||69%**||57%**||44%**|
|Noteworthy||Students can join the Operations Club to connect with alumni, tour operations sites and attend workshops||Curriculum is designed with input from experts in the operations management industry||Classes in the program work directly with local for-profit and non-profit entities to give students practical experience|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: Purdue University - Main Campus
- Ranked 68th among national universities and 24th among national public schools in 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Students can take advantage of resources from the school's Global Supply Chain Management Initiative
- The MBA program in operations management was ranked #3 by the Wall Street Journal from 2006-2007
Purdue University offers a bachelor's degree in management with a concentration in operations and supply chain management, as well as master's and doctoral degree programs in operations management. The courses in the undergraduate program include purchasing and logistics, manufacturing and control, strategic sourcing and manufacturing strategy. Graduate-level courses in the field include operations management consulting, international operations management, project management and management of service operations. The PhD program prepares operations management students to work as researchers or teachers in the field.
Runner-Up #1: Ball State University
- Ranked 103rd among national public schools in 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Internships are required
- Program has an information systems component to ensure that students are prepared to use industry-standard software and technology
- The major is designed so that students can also earn a Six Sigma minor by taking just two extra courses
Ball State University offers a bachelor's degree program in logistics and supply chain management that trains students for a career in the operations management field. Bachelor's degree students must complete 15 hours in major courses, which include supply chain management strategy, manufacturing planning and control, global logistics and transportation management. Ball State University also offers an MBA program that allows students to select operations management as a concentration. The MBA program requires students to complete 8 core courses and 3 electives in the operations management concentration to earn the degree.
Runner-Up #2: Indiana State University
- Average class size in the Scott College of Business is 24 students, according to the school
- Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International
- The program prepares graduates to pursue certification with the Association for Operations Management (APICS)
Indiana State University has a bachelor's degree program in operations and supply chain management. The program requires students to complete courses in business process improvement and global supply chain management. Students also learn to use data and spreadsheets to aid in problem-solving and decision-making. The program requires students to complete an internship in operations and supply chain management. Students must also complete business courses such as accounting, finance, statistics and marketing.