School and Ranking Information
Operations management studies at San Diego schools are offered mainly through business administration or management programs rather than in standalone programs. The following three universities are considered the top schools in San Diego for operations management programs based on their rankings, graduation rates and number of degrees granted:
- Winner: The University of San Diego's highly ranked business programs and national ranking help to place this school in the top spot. Students can earn a bachelor's or master's degree in operations management.
- Runner Up #1: San Diego State University is declared the first runner up because it awards the highest number of degrees relating to operations management, but its national ranking is below that of the University of San Diego, and it has the lowest graduation rate of the three schools. Operations management studies are offered at the bachelor's and master's degree levels.
- Runner Up #2: Though it has the highest national and business program rankings and highest graduation rate, the University of California - San Diego comes in third because it is not located directly in the city and it awards the fewest number of degrees in the field of study. It also offers only a master's degree program in operations management.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of San Diego||San Diego State University||University of California - San Diego|
|Rankings|| 92nd among national universities (2013)*
117th among best undergraduate business programs (2012)*
99th among best graduate business schools (2013)*
| 165th among national universities (2013)*
87th among best undergraduate business programs (2012)*
86th among best graduate business schools (2013)*
| 38th among national universities (2013)*
56th among best undergraduate business programs (2012),
73rd among best graduate business schools (2013)*
|Location||San Diego, CA||San Diego, CA||La Jolla, CA (14.2 miles outside of San Diego, CA)|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$39,970 (undergraduate), $23,310 (graduate)**||$6,578 (in-state, undergraduate), $18,236 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $7,844 (in-state, graduate), $17,390 (out-of-state, graduate)**||$13,217 (in-state, undergraduate), $36,095 (out-of-state, undergraduate); $12,734 (in-state, graduate), $27,836 (out-of-state, graduate)**|
|Operations Management-Related Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees||Master's degrees|
|Operations Management-Related Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||331**||1,295**||131**|
|Most Popular Operations Management-Related Degree Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management (158 awarded) **||Bachelor's in Business Administration and Management (1,057 awarded) **||Master's in Business Administration and Management (131 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||75%**||66%**||85%**|
|Noteworthy||Recognized as a Community Engagement Institution by the Carnegie Foundation||Electronic Boardroom offers students the opportunity to complete group work in a state-of-the-art computer technology facility||'Lab to Market' immersive course sequence for MBA programs|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Winner: University of San Diego
- Ranked among the top 50 undergraduate business programs by Bloomberg Businessweek (2012)
- MBA ranked among best in the world for social responsibility by the Aspen Institute in 2011-2012
- Ranked 8th among best campus environment by the Princeton Review (2013)
This private, Roman Catholic institution is housed on 180 acres and offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs that include training in operations management. Undergraduate students can major in business administration. This 4-year degree program offers a variety of management electives, as well as courses in operations management, organizational behavior, information systems and management science. It prepares students for careers in management, entrepreneurship and public administration.
In addition, the University of San Diego offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program with concentrations in supply chain management and managerial leadership, among others. The MBA program includes core classes in operations management. Topics in this class include production management, cost estimation, inventory management and workflow systems.
Runner-Up #1: San Diego State University
- Wells Fargo Financial Market Laboratory is the first of its kind on the West coast
- Highly selective faculty-student mentoring program helps students gain real-world experience
Within the College of Business Administration, undergraduate students can pursue a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Management program to study operations management, organizational theory, ethics and human resource management. Students can also participate in a Business Honors Program, which allows students to work with the community to gain a real-world understanding of their business education.
The MBA program requires between 30 and 48 credit hours and has more than 100 courses available, including a required core course in operations management. The program has 11 specialization options, including a specialization in supply chain management that includes additional courses in operation management. In addition to core courses, theme courses and electives, students complete a culminating experience.
Runner-Up #2: University of California - San Diego
- Graduates of the management school include 16 Nobel Laureates and eight MacArthur Foundation award recipients
- The school is home to the Rady Behavior Lab, a one-of-a-kind business lab to study business and economic behaviors
The Rady School of Management MBA program offers an immersive experience, with a 'Lab to Market' course sequence. Core courses include human resource management, data analysis, operations management and organizational strategy. The program also includes collaborative learning through study groups and team projects. Students can pursue a doctoral degree at this institution for a career in academia. While the University of California - San Diego does not offer an undergraduate degree in business, students can earn a bachelor's degree in management science or minors in business and accounting. These programs do not include coursework specific to operations management.