PC repair programs are offered in a variety of specializations and can be taken at both the certificate and associate degree levels. These programs are available at mainly community colleges through their technology departments.
10 Schools with Computer Repair Programs
The following schools offer programs in computer repair at the certificate level or associate's degree level:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees (2015-2016)*|
|Nassau Community College||Garden City, NY||2-year, Public||Associate's||$4,854 in-state, $9,388 out-of-state|
|Eastern Maine Community College||Bangor, ME||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,810 in-state, $6,510 out-of-state|
|Erie Community College||Buffalo, NY||2-year, Public||Associate's||$5,189 in-state, $9,784 out-of-state|
|Hagerstown Community College||Hagerstown, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$3,564 in-district, $5,280 in-state, $6,788 out-of-state|
|Guilford Technical Community College||Jamestown, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,064 in-district, $2,208 in-state, $7,056 out-of-state|
|Genesee Community College||Batavia, NY||2-year, Public||Certificate||$4,410 in-state, $5,010 out-of-state|
|Macomb Community College||Warren, MI||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$3,169 in-district, $4,945 in-state, $6,641 out-of-state|
|Harford Community College||Bel Air, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,341 in-district, $5,429 in-state, $7,517 out-of-state|
|Grand Rapids Community College||Grand Rapids, MI||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,051 in-district, $6,027 in-state, $8,715 out-of-state|
|Salt Lake Community College||Salt Lake City, UT||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,569 in-state, $11,337 out-of-state|
Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
School Selection Criteria
Here are some things to consider when choosing a school:
- Degree options include certificate programs in PC repair which can be completed in as little as one semester, and associate degree programs that typically take two years to complete.
- Available specializations in computer repair areas can be in such areas as hard drives, laptops and printers in addition to learning software maintenance skills.
- Certification options like CompTIA A+ or Microsoft certifications might facilitate employment and advancement in the field.
- School resources should include computer laboratories that give students the chance to gain hands-on experience working with the newest technology.
Certificate in Computer Repair
Certificate programs in computer repair can be completed in a single semester or one year and commonly include courses covering computer technology, repair and troubleshooting.
Associate Degree in Computer Repair
Associate degree programs in computer repair commonly take two years and provide general education courses in addition to technical ones. Students learn to problem solve and manage both software and hardware, as well as communicate the nature of computer problems to non-technical clients.
In computer repair programs, students learn skills related to computer repair and troubleshooting. Before choosing a school, students should consider factors such as program length and specializations, certification options, and what resources schools can offer.