Aspiring pathology assistants can find graduate level training at four-year universities. Students take courses in clinical care, focusing specifically on disease prevention and treatment.
Schools That Offer Pathology Assistant Programs
At these schools, students can find pathology assistant programs:
|College/Institution||Location||Institution Type||Degree Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Drexel University - Sacramento||Sacramento, CA||4-year, Private||Master's||$8,535 (2016-2017 program tuition)**|
|Drexel University||Philadelphia, PA||4-year, Private||Master's||$31,239|
|Duke University||Durham, NC||4-year, Private||Master's||$47,590|
|Indiana University||Bloomington, IN||4-year, Public||Master's||$8,842 in-state, $26,812 out-of-state|
|Loma Linda University||Loma Linda, CA||4-year, Private||Master's||$24,128|
|Quinnipiac University||Hamden, CT||4-year, Private||Master's||$17,190|
|Rosalind Franklin University||North Chicago, IL||4-year, Private||Master's||$32,069|
|University of Maryland||Baltimore, MD||4-year, Public||Master's||$12,944 in-state, $28,328 out-of-state|
|Wayne State University||Detroit, MI||4-year, Public||Master's||$14,165 in-state, $30,682 out-of-state|
|West Virginia University||Morgantown, WV||4-year, Public||Master's||$8,568 in-state, $22,140 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics, **School website
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Chiropractic Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Assistant
- EMT Ambulance
- Health Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Medical or Clinical Assistant
- Medication Aide
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Pathology Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy Technician
- Veterinary Technician
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for a pathology assistant school:
- Make sure that you meet the minimum educational requirements for admission, which usually include a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as biology, chemistry or nursing, as well as undergraduate courses in the sciences.
- Consider programs that offer multiple clinical externships in various settings, such as hospitals and private clinics, or programs that have on-campus medical centers where students can gain experience.
- Check that the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) has accredited the school's program. Students will need to graduate from an accredited master's program in order to sit for the Pathologists' Assistant examination.
Master's Degree in Pathology Assistant Studies
A master's degree in pathology assistance prepares students to diagnose and study disease through dissecting and examining tissues during the performance of surgery or autopsy. Clinical experiences typically account for half of the syllabus, and students will learn dissection techniques, as well as how to describe and report findings. Programs typically take 24 months to complete, with some schools requiring full-time summer attendance as well in which students complete clinical experiences. Many programs require students to maintain an above-average GPA to continue in the program.
Over the course of an accredited master's degree program in pathology assistant studies, students can gain the theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary to pursue a career in the field.