School and Ranking Information
Students have a pair of non-profit 2-year schools with programming offerings to choose from within a 10-mile radius of San Francisco. The following school, on account of location and amount of program completions in the field of study, is considered the best school in the area to attend for programming:
- Winner: City College of San Francisco is the sole 2-year institution with educational offerings in programming within the city of San Francisco. This school offers multiple programming certificates, and programming coursework is also available through the school's associate's degree program in computer science.
School Info Chart
|Category||City College of San Francisco|
|Rankings||#32 for national top certificate-producing institutions (2014)*|
|Location||San Francisco, CA|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$1,274 (in-state), $6,748 (out-of-state)**|
|Programming Offerings||Certificate, associate's degree|
|Programming Certificates Awarded in 2013||28**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||31%**|
|Noteworthy||City College has a Coders Club and Linux Users Group for students' involvement***|
Sources: *Community College Week, **NCES College Navigator, ***City College of San Francisco
City College of San Francisco
- Students enrolled in programming certificate programs have access to the computing resource center, which includes close to 200 machines
- City College of San Francisco participates in a program that enables eligible students in San Francisco to receive free tuition for a tech related education
- This institution features a programming certificate that allows for an internship
- Numerous programming courses have online availability
City College of San Francisco has nearly 100 different student groups for its enrollment of around 27,000 students. This institution has nearly 80 different computer labs and as of 2015, there is a new technology building being designed for the school.
The Computer Science Department offers a variety of certificates for students interested in programming. The web applications programming certificate includes a Linux introduction and allows students to choose from courses such as Perl or Java programming or complete an internship. The Oracle database programming certificate includes courses on database design and administration. Other programming certificate offerings include ones for iPhone and Android apps, Java, C++ and Virtual Basic. Courses in introductory and fundamental programming are also part of the computer science associate's degree program, alongside courses in calculus, computer architecture and more.