School and Ranking Information
Ten schools within 20 miles of Santa Ana offer computer programming degree programs. Most of the schools are two year colleges. The following schools are the top schools based on location, graduation rates and programs:
- Winner : Orange Coast College is a 2-year public institution. It is only six miles from the Santa Ana city center and it has a commitment to modern facilities. The school offers associate degrees and certificates in computer programming.
- Runner Up #1 : Irvine Valley College is also a 2-year college. The school has a robust set of student organizations to nurture student creativity. The school offers an associate degree or certificate.
- Runner Up #2 : Finally, Cypress College, another 2-year college, is noted for its innovation in its program offerings. Many of its classes can be taken online or at nontraditional times of the day. The school also offers an associate degree or certificate.
|Category||Orange Coast College||Irvine Valley College||Cypress College|
|Location||Costa Mesa, California (6.1 miles from downtown Santa Ana)||Irvine, California (9 miles from downtown Santa Ana)||Cypress, California (11.5 miles from downtown Santa Ana)|
|School Type||2-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$1,184 (in-state); $6,320 (out-of-state)*||$1,487 (in-state); $7,935 (out-of-state)*||$1,136 (in-state); $5,984 (out-of-state)*|
|Computer Programming Program Award Levels Offered||Certificates; associate degree||Certificates; associate degree||Certificates; associate degree|
|Computer Programming Degrees and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||9*||15*||7*|
|Most Popular Computer Programming Program (2011-2012)||Associate in Computer Programming/Programmer, General (5 awarded)*||Associate in Computer Programming/Programmer, General (11 awarded)*||1-2 Year Certificate in Computer Programming/Programmer, General (4 awarded)*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2009 Entering Class||38%*||36%*||29%*|
|Noteworthy||State-of-the-art facilities and modern technology||Ranked first among community colleges in Orange County**||The school offers a designated Business and Computer Information Science Computer Lab|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **Irvine Valley College
Winner: Orange Coast College
- Features state-of-the-art facilities, including a new library and multimedia studio
- According to the NCES, 78% of students who began in 2011 returned in 2012
Orange Coast College offers an Associate in Science in Computer Programming program and Certificates of Achievement programs in computer programming, C++ programming and business application development with programming specializations. The associate degree and certificate programs in computer programming include courses in computer architecture, data structures, C++ programming, Java programming and advanced mathematics. Within the business application development certificate, students can specialize in introductory programming or technical programming. Students may also choose to earn an associate in business application development. The 12-credit C++ programming Certificate of Specialization program includes two courses in programming and a course in data structures.
Runner-Up #1: Irvine Valley College
- 76% retention rate for full-time students entering a program in 2011, according to the NCES
- On-campus Computer Programmers Association club
Irvine Valley College offers Associate in Science and certificate programs in computer information sciences through the School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering. They have emphases in computer languages, systems analysis and business programming. Students who want to focus on different programming languages and their applications will be interested in the computer languages emphasis, while those who would like to program for business applications can consider the business programming track. Software systems are explored in the systems analysis emphasis. The 60-credit Associate of Science in Computer Languages program includes courses in C+, C++, Java and Visual Basic programming.
Runner-Up #2: Cypress College
- Offers flexible class schedules, including day, evening, weekend and online classes
The Division of Business and Computer Information Systems at Cypress College offers Associate in Science degree and certificate programs in computer programming. The associate degree program requires students to complete 18 credits in computer programming courses, in addition to the general education requirements for an associate degree. Students in the certificate program must complete 12 credits in courses like computer information systems, programming, Visual Basic programming and Java programming.