School and Ranking Information
Several public community colleges and for-profit technical institutes offer computer programming studies in and within 25 miles of Oakland, CA. Based on campus computer facilities, student population and student-to-faculty ratio, the following school is considered one of the top schools in the Oakland area for computer programming training:
- Winner: The City College of San Francisco is the largest public college in the Oakland, CA, area that provides computer programming training. It is located about 13 miles from Oakland. The 2-year college offers several computer programming certificate programs.
School Info Chart
|Category||City College of San Francisco|
|Distinction||One of the largest community college systems in the United States*|
|Location||San Francisco, California|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $1,274 (in-state); $6,748 (out-of-state)**|
|Computer Programming Levels Offered||Certificate|
|Computer Programming Certificates Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||28**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||31%**|
|Noteworthy||Accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community & Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges; More than 70 computer labs and 2,100 computers on campus*|
Sources: *City College of San Francisco; **NCES College Navigator.
City College of San Francisco
- 22:1 student-to-faculty ratio, which is among lowest of all public colleges offering computer programming training in the Oakland area
- Certificates can be earned in as little as 9 credit hours
- Studies combine classroom instruction with hands-on practices
- Continually revises courses to reflect updated changes in technology and industry needs
The City College of San Francisco (CCSF) offers flexible class schedules and has 11 campuses throughout the city. The college was founded in 1935, and today it offers more than 50 educational programs, including several certificate programs in computer programming offered through the Computer Science Department. The Computer Science Department at CCSF offers classes in programming, Unix/Linux, multimedia, databases and general programming.
Students can earn a Certificate of Achievement in several areas of programming. They can take courses in specific programming languages such as Java, C++ and Visual Basic. Programs are also available in Android and iPhone mobile application programming and MySQL and Oracle database programming. Students take introductory courses specific to their area of programming and can also take courses in information systems, data processing and introductory computer science. Credit totals range from 9-18 credits depending on the chosen program.