School and Ranking Information
Within a 25-mile radius of Tampa, there are fewer than 10 schools with psychology programs. The following schools are considered the top three based on location, rankings and number of awarded degrees in the field:
- Winner: University of South Florida in Tampa secures first place on account of its tuition rates, number of program levels and awarded degrees in psychology and for receiving multiple national rankings from U.S. News & World Report.
- Runner Up #1: Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg secures second place for its small class sizes and for the high demand of psychology studies at the institution.
- Runner Up #2: The University of Tampa, located in Tampa, is the third pick due to its top-25 regional ranking from U.S. News & World Report and its location being within the city.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of South Florida - Main Campus||Eckerd College||The University of Tampa|
|Ranking(s)|| 78th among graduate psychology programs, nationwide*
70th among graduate clinical psychology programs, nationwide*
170th among national universities*
|138th among national liberal arts colleges*||23rd among regional universities (South)*|
|Location||Tampa, FL||Saint Petersburg, FL (27.6 miles from downtown Tampa)||Tampa, FL|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$6,334 (undergraduate, in-state), $16,257 (undergraduate, out-of-state);
$10,415 (graduate, in-state), $20,603 (graduate, out-of-state)**
|$35,926 (undergraduate)**||$25,222 (undergraduate)**|
|Psychology Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's degrees||Bachelor's degrees|
|Psychology Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||741**||86**||63**|
|Most Popular Psychology Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, General (681 awarded)**||Bachelor's Degree in Developmental and Child Psychology (62 awarded)**||Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, General (63 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||52%**||63%**||57%**|
|Noteworthy||Department faculty includes the President of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP)||The psychology department houses a Comparative Psychology Lab||Allows students to participate in Undergraduate Research Conference|
Sources: *2013 U.S. News & World Report rankings, **NCES College Navigator
Winner: University of South Florida - Main Campus
- In 2013, the USF ranked 4th among industrial and organizational psychology graduate programs by U.S. News and World Report
- Students gain hands-on training through the Psychological Services Center
- In 2013, a psychology department honor student was accepted into the Fulbright UK Summer Institute program
The USF Department of Psychology awards degrees at the bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. There were 1,909 undergraduate students enrolled in the psychology program in the fall of 2012, according to the school. The department offers an undergraduate honors program providing qualifying undergraduate students with hands-on research experience. Graduate students can complete 1 of 3 psychology concentrations. They also have the opportunity to gain hands-on training through the Psychological Services Center. The clinical psychology program is APA accredited and prepares graduates for licensure. Additionally, learners may also choose to join the USF Chapter of Psi Chi the National Honor Society in Psychology.
Runner-Up #1: Eckerd College
- Eckerd College has a 13 to 1 student-faculty ratio, according to the NCES
- For the 2010-2011 academic year, 96% of first-time undergraduates received financial aid, per the NCES
- In 2012, psychology was among the top 10 majors of Eckerd College's graduating class
- In 2012, psychology was among the top intended majors of the incoming class
The Eckerd College Department of Psychology awards a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science. While both programs include research and practical applications, the Bachelor of Science program includes an additional extensive practical experience. The department maintains a faculty-run lab focused on comparative psychology, which offers students hands-on research opportunities.
Runner-Up #2: The University of Tampa
- Psychology was the 3rd most popular program in the fall of 2011
- Psychology students have access to a campus chapter of Psi Chi
- The NCES reports that in 2010-2011, 96% of full-time beginning students received grant or scholarship aid
The UT Department of Psychology offers a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in Psychology program that includes research in 5 areas of emphasis. The department provides students with internship opportunities. Learners may choose to take part in ongoing research projects or pursue original research and participate in an annual university research conference. Additionally, the department offers hands-on training through the Biopsychology and Learning Instructional Lab.