Several schools offer courses in the practice of Reiki, typically led by a practicing Reiki Master and Teacher. Three degrees of Reiki training exist; students receive a certificate when they complete each one, which defines the stage of Reiki they are qualified to practice.
Schools with Reiki Courses and Programs
The following schools offer training in Reiki:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition*|
|Southwest Institute of Healing Arts||Tempe, AZ||Private for-profit||Certificate (combined levels)||$1,500|
|College of International Esthetics, Inc||Arvada, CO||Private for-profit||Certificate||$85|
|The Reiki School||Philadelphia, PA||Private for-profit||Reiki 1, Reiki 2, Reiki 3, Master Reiki|| $450 (for Reiki 1)
$600 (for Reiki 2)
$1,500 (for Reiki 3)
$4,000 (for Master Reiki)
|SF Reiki Center||San Francisco, CA||Private for-profit||Reiki 1, Reiki 2||$250 (for Reiki 1), $500 (for Reiki 2)|
Sources: *School websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Acupuncture and Acupressure
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Homeopathic Medicine
- Movement Therapies
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Polarity Therapy
- Traditional Eastern Medicine and Herbology
- Yoga Therapy and Instructor
School and College Selection Criteria
Remember the following as you consider different Reiki programs:
- Optional credentials for Reiki practitioners can demonstrate advanced understanding of Reiki styles and techniques, such as glyphs, healing and meditation; interested students should explore the availability of coursework in these topics at different schools.
- Students interested in obtaining a professional license are encouraged to enroll in schools offering advanced certificate programs that extend past basic concepts and focus on becoming a Reiki Master.
- Since there are no defined standards for Reiki, students should verify that the instructor is a qualified Reiki Master.
- State regulations vary for Reiki practitioners, so it is important for students to compare the educational opportunities at a school to the requirements of the state in which they plan to practice.
First- and Second-Degree Certificates in Reiki
Basic certificate programs in Reiki are designed to prepare students for continuing Reiki education. Graduates are typically qualified to become Reiki practitioners, both in their personal lives and with others. Some schools offer multiple certificate programs in succession, while others provide a single 8-hour course. Energy directions that transcend both time and space are commonly available at this level. Students begin with several attunements, participate in meditation and learn to balance multiple energies within the body.
Reiki Master Certificate
Advanced Reiki certificate programs are available in order to prepare students to become Reiki Masters. These programs commonly require the completion of lower-level Reiki programs as prerequisites. Graduates of the program are generally qualified to refer to themselves as Reiki Masters and often enter an apprenticeship with an experienced Reiki Master, begin professional practice or teach the art to others.
There are multiple certificate levels at which students can study Reiki. It is important for students to evaluate the academic features and scheduling options of the programs offered at different schools in order to find the one that best meets their educational needs.