School and Ranking Information
In the Atlanta, Georgia, area, there are only about four schools that offer specialized degree programs, course tracks, certificates or diplomas in retail management. Based on program offerings, tuition rates and rankings, the top schools in the area are:
- Winner: Kennesaw State University offers a business bachelor's degree program with an elective track in retail management. U.S. News & World Report ranked Kennesaw State's undergraduate business programs among the top 120 in the country in 2013.
- Runner-Up #1: Georgia Piedmont Technical College offers certificate and associate's degree programs related to retail management. It had the lowest tuition of these three schools in 2012-2013.
- Runner-Up #2: Gwinnett Technical College offers associate's degree programs in the field and offers the second lowest tuition. However, it's the furthest from Atlanta.
School Info Chart
|Kennesaw State University||Georgia Piedmont Technical College||Gwinnett Technical College|
|Ranking||#119 among the best undergraduate business programs nationally (2013)*
#69 among regional universities in the South (2014)*
|Location||Kennesaw, Georgia (22 miles from Atlanta)||Clarkston, Georgia (10 miles from Atlanta)||Lawrenceville, Georgia (25 miles from Atlanta)|
|School Type||4-year; public||2-year; public||2-year; public|
|Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)|| $5,522 (in-state),
| $2,378 (in-state),
| $2,434 (in-state),
|Retail Management Degree Programs Offered||Bachelor's degree||Certificate, associate's degree||Associate's degree|
|Degrees Awarded, All Levels (2011-2012)||32**||17**||25**|
|Most Popular Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing (32 degrees awarded)**||Associate of Applied Science in Marketing Management (14 degrees awarded)**||Associate of Applied Science in Marketing Management (15 degrees awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (150% of Normal Program Time)||42% (students who began in 2006)**||22% (students who began in 2009)**||17% (students who began in 2009)**|
|Noteworthy||Student chapter of American Marketing Association||High Performance Leadership workshop||Small business operations seminar|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Winner: Kennesaw State University
- School was named the 4th best Up-and-Coming School among regional universities in the South in 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Also ranked as the 30th best public regional school in the South in 2014 by U.S. News & World Report
- Campus business development centers
- Students can join the Kennesaw Marketing Association
Kennesaw State University was chartered in 1963 as 4-year public institution. Through the Michael J. Coles College of Business and the Department of Marketing and Professional Sales, students can complete a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with an elective track in retail management. Program courses include basic retailing, internet marketing and global business. Students can explore the resources at the campus business centers, such as the Small Business Development Center, the Center for Professional Development or the Edge Connection, which provides training and consultation for microbusiness development.
Runner-Up #1: Georgia Piedmont Technical College
- Retail management courses as part of 2-year degree program
- 1-year certificate program options
- Professional development workshops
Founded in 1961 as the DeKalb Area Vocational School, Georgia Piedmont Technical College is a public 2-year institution with associate degree programs in business management or marketing management. The programs have specialization options in service sector or small business management. Courses are available in retail management and business plan development. Students may also pursue a 1-year Certificate in Retail Merchandise Manager, with courses in visual merchandising, buying, small business management and consumer behavior, as well as a course covering retail operations. The school also offers professional development workshops, such as the High Performance Leadership (HPL) workshop.
Runner-Up #2: Gwinnett Technical College
- Associate degree concentration
- Diploma program option
- Professional development seminars
Located in Lawrenceville, Gwinnett Technical College was opened in 1984 and began offering associate's degrees in 1989. Students can pursue an Associate of Applied Science in Marketing Management with a concentration in retail management. Program courses cover retail operations management, visual marketing and merchandising, business regulations and professional selling. The retail management concentration track can also be completed as a diploma program. The school offers seminars that are open to the public, introducing topics such as starting and operating a small business.