With a 2018 population of over 213,000, San Bernardino is the largest city and county seat of San Bernardino County. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that the Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian labor force of about 2.04 million with an unemployment rate of 4.1% in March 2018, which matched the national average. As of May 2017, the BLS reported an average hourly wage of $22.76 for all occupations in the region. Management positions had a significantly higher average hourly wage of $53.44, while healthcare practitioners and technical workers earned $43.50. Job seekers may certainly find the area worth investigating.
According to the State of California Employment Development Division (EDD), eight of San Bernardino County's top 25 employers in 2018 were reported to be hospitals, with schools and government also well-represented. The following list shows the county's largest employers that are located directly in the city of San Bernardino:
- Amazon Fulfillment Center
- BNSF Railway Co.
- California State University-San Bernardino
- San Bernardino County Schools Superintendent
- San Bernardino County Sheriff
- St. Bernardine Medical Center
- Transportation Department
The EDD reports that the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing jobs in the Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario MSA over the 2014-2024 decade. This area is composed of Riverside and San Bernardino counties. These occupations are all projected to experience above 44% growth over the ten-year period.
- Helpers for Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons and Tile and Marble Setters
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Door-to-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Physician Assistants
- Helpers for Electricians
- Nurse Practitioners