San Diego is the 2nd largest city in California and the 8th largest in the United States. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that the San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian labor force of nearly 1.6 million with an unemployment rate of just 3.2% in March 2018. The BLS also notes that the unemployment rate for the State of California was 4.3% at the same time. As of May 2017, an average hourly wage of $27.12 was reported for all occupations in the San Diego-Carlsbad region. At the higher end, management positions earned an average hourly wage of $60.30, while employees in the legal field earned $58.41 per hour, on average.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
According to the State of California Employment Development Department (EDD), the following are among the largest employers in San Diego County in 2018. Many of these large employers are found in the healthcare industry, including hospitals, clinics and health services.
- San Diego County Sheriff
- General Dynamics Nassco
- Seaworld San Diego
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Merchants Building Maintenance
- Barona Resort & Casino
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women
- Scripps Mercy Hospital
- Illumina Inc.
- Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center
The State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) reports that the following are expected to be the top 10 fastest growing jobs in the San Diego-Carlsbad MSA over the 2014-2024 decade. These occupations are all projected to have greater than 34% growth over the ten-year period. Construction workers in rebar, masonry and roofing can expect over 50% growth during that time.
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Loan Officers
- Operations Research Analysts
- Biomedical Engineers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Web Developers