San Francisco enjoys mild weather, exciting nightlife, and proximity to outstanding educational institutions. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) enjoyed a civilian workforce of nearly 2.6 million and an unemployment rate of just 2.7% in March 2018. An average hourly wage of $33.51 for all occupations was reported for May 2017 for the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward region. Healthcare practitioners earned a significantly higher $52.26 hourly on average, while professionals in the education and library fields made an average of $31.60 hourly.
According to the State of California Employment Development Department (EDD), the following were among the top 10 largest employers in San Francisco County as of 2018. The county has a diverse workforce, with large employers including police departments, electric companies, universities, hospitals and government offices.
- Kaiser Permanente San Francisco
- San Francisco Chronicle
- U.S. Veterans Medical Center
- University of California, San Francisco
- San Francisco Municipal Railway
- San Francisco Police Department
- Yellow Cab Co-Op Administration
- Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Golden Gate University
As reported by the Labor Market Information Division of the California Employment Development Department, the following are projected to be the top 10 fastest-growing occupations in San Francisco County over the 2014-2024 decade. These jobs will experience at least 34% growth during the period; biomedical engineers may even have over 60% job growth.
- Biomedical Engineers
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Home Health Aides
- Interpreters and Translators
- Biological Technicians
- Operations Research Analysts
- Software Developers, Applications
- Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists