Certificate and associate's degree programs for administrative assistants are usually available through the business technology departments of private schools and community colleges. Aspiring administrative assistants can earn an associate's degree in office administration, which may be transferable to a 4-year program in business administration or office management; graduates of an administrative assistant certificate program can receive training adequate to secure an entry-level position in the profession.
Schools Offering Administrative Assistant Programs
This list of colleges and universities identifies some schools offering administrative assistant programs.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)|
|American River College||Sacramento, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,104; Out-of-state $7,440|
|Bergen Community College||Paramus, NJ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-district $4,278; In-state $7,686; Out-of-state $8,046|
|Cincinnati State Technical and Community College||Cincinnati, OH||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $3,825; Out-of-state $7,393|
|College of Southern Nevada||Las Vegas, NV||4-year, primarily associate's, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $2,805; Out-of-state $9,450|
|Community College of Denver||Denver, CO||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $3,509; Out-of-state $13,179|
|Ivy Tech Community College||Indianapolis, IN||2-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $4,115; Out-of-state $7,992|
|University of Alaska - Anchorage||Anchorage, AK||4-year, Public||Certificate||In-state $5,545; Out-of-state $17,177|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Clerical and General Office
- Customer Service and Call Center Support
- Executive Assistant or Secretary
- Office Technology and Data Entry
- Warehousing and Inventory Management
School Selection Criteria
There are several considerations when seeking a program in this field:
- If you're interested in working in a legal or medical office setting, look for certificate and degree programs offering specialized coursework in these fields.
- Look for schools that offer flexibility in online programs or evening and weekend courses.
- Verify that a program's curriculum meets eligibility requirements for earning voluntary professional certifications, which can help you get an edge in the job field.
- Check into the additional services that a school offers, such as career or job placement services.
Administrative Assistant Program Overviews
Certificate for Administrative Assistants
Certificate programs for administrative assistants can typically be completed in 12-18 months and are designed to prepare students for entry-level office work. In addition to office skills, students learn ethical and proper office etiquette, as well as appropriate conduct when interacting with the public or vendors.
Associate Degree for Administrative Assistants
Administrative assistants can earn an associate degree in 1-2 years and may be able to transfer to a 4-year bachelor's program in office management or business administration. Office internships may be included as part of an associate's program.
Students interested in pursuing careers in office administration can earn certificate or associate's degrees, some of which are designed for transfer towards a bachelor's degree program. It is possible to complete studies online, and some schools also offer evening and weekend classes.