Schools for Aspiring Agricultural Mechanics: How to Choose

Prospective mechanics in the field of agriculture have certificate and associate degree options available to them when it comes to choosing a school. Read on to learn more about the criteria for choosing a school.

Agricultural mechanics perform many of the diagnostic, repair and maintenance work on various types of equipment. Training programs are available at the certificate and associate's degree levels.

Schools with Agricultural Mechanics Programs

The following schools offer agricultural mechanics programs:

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Tuition & Fees (2015-2016)*
Northeast Community College Norfolk, Nebraska 2-year, Public Associate's $3,165 In-state
$4,215 Out-of-state
Black Hawk College Moline, Illinois 2-year, Public Certificate
$4,050 In-district
$7,500 In-state
$7,650 Out-of-state
Reedley College Reedley, California 2-year, Public Certificate
$1,194 In-state
$6,834 Out-of-state
Rend Lake College Ina, Illinois 2-year, Public Certificate
$3,000 In-district
$4,605 In-state
$4,650 Out-of-state
Morrisville State College Morrisville, New York 4-year, Public Certificate
$7,970 In-state
$18,020 Out-of-state
Montana State University Billings, Montana 4-year, Public Associate's $5,808 In-state
$17,842 Out-of-state
Southwest Wisconsin Technical College Fennimore, Wisconsin 2-year, Public Diploma $4,164 In-state
$6,114 Out-of-state
San Joaquin Delta College Stockton, California 2-year, Public Certificate $1,104 In-state
$6,312 Out-of-state
Hutchinson Community College Hutchinson, Kansas 2-year, Public Certificate
$2,848 In-district
$3,168 In-state
$4,160 Out-of-state

Source: *NCES College Navigator

School Selection Criteria

Certificate and associate's degree programs in agricultural mechanics or technology are available from technical and community colleges. Consider the following also when looking for agricultural mechanics schools:

  • Students may want to consider which type of program may fit their educational needs better. Certificate programs can provide the training needed for entry-level work. On the other hand, associate's programs might prepare students for management positions.
  • Seek schools that offer hands-on lab work on modern equipment emphasizing areas such as diagnostic procedures of diesel and gasoline engines, hydraulic equipment and electrical systems.
  • Some agricultural mechanics associate's degree programs provide opportunities for students to take part in summer internships at machinery dealerships or local farms.

Certificate in Mechanized Agriculture

Certificate programs in mechanized agriculture can usually be completed in one year. Programs prepare students for work as entry-level agricultural technicians. Internships may be required for program completion.

Associate's Degree in Agricultural Equipment Technology

Associate's degree programs in mechanized agriculture or agricultural equipment technology are typically 2-year programs that balance training in theory and practice. Programs may prepare students for various positions, such as equipment technicians, sales persons or service managers. Some programs also require internships to supplement technical lab training. General coursework in math, sociology, business and economics may be included as well as industry-specific lab courses.

Certificate and associate's degree programs in agricultural mechanics are readily available. These programs emphasize core areas such as hydraulics, electrical systems, diesel engine repair, ac systems and fuel systems.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • Diesel Technology
    • Collision Repair and Refinish Technology

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • High School Diploma

    What is your age?

  • 3
    University of Northwestern Ohio
  • 5
    Southwest Wisconsin Technical College
  • 9
    Western Technology Center

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?