Environmental engineers attempt to prevent and design solutions for pollution problems in water, soil and air. Comprised of multiple concentrations, environmental engineering programs give students the chance to choose an area of study which relates to their interests.
Top Environmental Engineering Schools
The following are all schools offering environmental engineering programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Tuition and fees are for undergraduate programs, based on the 2015-2016 school year:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees*|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||4-year, private not-for-profit||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$46,320|
|University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||4-year, public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$13,431 in-state, $38,139 out-of-state|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||4-year, public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$13,856 in-state, $43,476 out-of-state|
|University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign||Champaign, IL||4-year, public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$15,054 in-state, $30,214 out-of-state|
|University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$9,806 in-state, $34,676 out-of-state|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Atlanta, GA||4-year, public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$12,204 in-state, $32,396 out-of-state|
|Johns Hopkins University||Baltimore, MD||4-year, private not-for-profit||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$48,710|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, MA||4-year, private not-for-profit||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$46,704|
|Cornell University||Ithaca, NY||4-year, private not-for-profit||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$49,116|
*Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Energy Management Technologies
- Environmental Engineering Technologies
- Environmental Health Engineering
- Hazardous Materials and Waste Mgmt. Technologies
- Heating, Venting, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration
- Solar Energy Technologies
- Water Quality and Treatment Technologies
School Selection Criteria
The following information should help prospective students choose an appropriate environmental engineering program:
- Students may wish to select a school which offers the most depth in their desired concentration, such as contaminant control, biotechnology, environmental facilities and water resources.
- Investigation of the types of research options available at each school considered can lead to enhanced career opportunities.
- Some schools offer courses designed to prepare students for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
- Students can verify that a school meets quality standards by checking its accreditation status with the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
- To ensure a school employs highly qualified faculty, students may visit the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors website, which lists all of the schools where its members teach.
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering
Some schools offer environmental engineering studies as part of a civil engineering degree curriculum, while others offer a bachelor's degree solely in environmental engineering. The environmental engineering degree program prepares students to become certified PEs. Students may be required to complete a senior design project at the end of the program.
Master of Engineering
Students pursuing a Master of Engineering take core engineering courses supplemented by completion of an environmental engineering track. The Master of Science in Environmental Engineering degree option offers similar instruction. These research-oriented programs culminate in either independent study projects or the completion of a thesis.
Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Engineering
Students may enter Ph.D. programs after earning either a bachelor's or master's degree. If the student's degree isn't in engineering, he or she may be required to take extra coursework to make up for any engineering coursework deficiencies. Once Ph.D. students complete and defend a dissertation, they're eligible for graduation and may enter the field of research or obtain appointments as professors.
To recap, environmental engineering programs can be found at 4-year colleges and universities at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Schools are endowed with different types of research labs and levels of funding that determine whether opportunities are available in each concentration.