Fetal echocardiography is the use of ultrasound machines to create medical images of the heart of an unborn child. Programs in echocardiography are available at community colleges, technical schools and 4-year colleges and universities.
These schools offer relevant for aspiring fetal echo technicians:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|Newman University||Wichita, KS||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$26,030|
|Armstrong State University||Savannah, GA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$5,360 in-state, $15,616 out-of-state|
|Nebraska Methodist College of Nursing and Allied Health||Omaha, NE||4-year, Private||Associate||$13,418|
|Oregon Institute of Technology||Klamath Falls, OR||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$8,838 in-state, $24,825 out-of-state|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||Rochester, NY||4-year, Private||Certificate||$37,124|
|Seattle University||Seattle, WA||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$39,690|
|University of Oklahoma - Health Sciences Center||Oklahoma City, OK||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$4,296 in-state, $17,682 out-of-state|
|ATI College||Norwalk, CA||<2-year, Private||Certificate||$28,825|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for an echocardiography school:
- Student may want to choose a school that offers fetal echocardiography experience opportunities, such as internships, externships and practicums. Schools with up-to-date, on-campus fetal care centers or related facilities are recommended, but there may also be opportunities at local medical facilities.
- Voluntary credentialing in fetal echocardiography can be obtained through certification by an organization like the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, so students are encouraged to enroll in programs that meet credentialing requirements.
- Students who already have academic or practical work experience in a health or science field might consider enrolling in a certificate program in echocardiography; associate degree programs might appeal to students interested in obtaining entry-level positions through shorter academic experiences, and bachelor's degree programs might be useful to students pursuing professional advancement.
- If you need scheduling flexibility, look for a school that offers online program options.
Certificate in Echocardiography
Certificate programs in echocardiography can be completed in one year and typically are designed for students who already have some experience or education in a related field. The curriculum includes extensive clinical experiences in addition to lecture-based coursework.
Associate Degree in Echocardiography
Associate degree programs in echocardiography typically include clinical experiences and an internship component, both of which offer opportunities to specialize in fetal echocardiography. Along with general education courses, programs include basic courses in medical terminology and sonography.
Bachelor's Degree in Echocardiography
Bachelor's degree programs in echocardiography may offer the opportunity to study fetal echocardiography through coursework, internships, externships, research projects and clinical experiences. Externships are often required.
Aspiring fetal echo technicians can find relevant undergraduate degree and certificate programs that can prepare them for jobs and professional certification. Students can choose between educational options based on their career goals and scheduling constraints.