Golf course superintendents are in charge of turfgrass maintenance, landscaping, and business management. Those interested in the business side of the golf industry can enroll in turfgrass or golf course management certificate and degree programs, in which they learn about both areas.
Top Schools with Turfgrass Management Programs
These schools offer turfgrass management programs that may include labwork as well as hands-on training:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition 2015-2016*|
|Cincinnati State Technical and Community College||Cincinnati, OH||2-year, Public||Associate's||$3,825 in-state, $7,393 out-of-state|
|Pennsylvania State University||University Park, PA||4-year, Public||Certificate||$17,514 in-state, $31,346 out-of-state|
|Western Texas College||Snyder, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$1,898 in-district, $2,808 in-state, $3,696 out-of-state|
|Florida Gateway College||Lake City, FL||4-year, Public||Diploma||$3,100 in-state, $11,747 out-of-state|
|College of the Desert||Palm Desert, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$1,336 in-state, $6,656 out-of-state|
|Central Piedmont Community College||Charlotte, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$2,664 in-state, $8,808 out-of-state|
|Washington State University||Pullman, WA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$11,967 in-state, $25,567 out-of-state|
|University of Minnesota at Crookston||Crookston, MN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$11,646|
|Oklahoma State University at Oklahoma City||Oklahoma City, OK||4-year, Public||Associate's||$2,859 in-state, $7,719 out-of-state|
Sources: School websites, *NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cultural Studies
- Ethnic and Gender Studies
- Geography and Cartography
- Human and Consumer Sciences
- Human and Social Services
- Liberal Arts, Humanities, and General Studies
- Military Studies
- Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- Religious Studies
- Social Science and Studies
- Social Studies and History
- Theological, Religious, and Ministerial Studies
School Selection Criteria
Students interested in this field should consider:
- Aspiring superintendents might wish to seek schools that have student-run clubs; these organizations coordinate trips to industry shows and golf tournaments, exposing students to a variety of professional settings and providing networking opportunities.
- Students may wish to consider programs that offer turfgrass maintenance internships for hands-on learning experience.
- Some turfgrass management programs may offer further experiential learning with summer courses that consist of working at local golf courses, landscape companies, or parks.
- Prospective students should also consider the facilities available for student use, such as greenhouses, on-campus golf courses, and horticultural labs where they can learn how to identify and manage turfgrass pathogens and weeds, as well as learn about planting methods and irrigation techniques.
Golf Course Turf Management Certificate
Certificate programs in golf course management typically last two years. Working students might be interested in online programs with streaming video lectures.
Associate degree programs in turfgrass management technology and golf course management typically include an internship. Graduates are qualified for positions as golf course superintendents, construction technicians, and sod farm managers.
Bachelor's Degrees in Turfgrass Science
Bachelor's degree programs in turfgrass science focus on the physiology of grasses, soil fertility, and biological control of pests. Programs are interdisciplinary and often include business and human resource management courses.
A variety of schools offer degrees in turf management, most commonly at the certificate or associate's degree level. Students should consider whether programs offer internships or experiential learning.