You may need to be fluent in a foreign language to enroll in an undergraduate program that prepares you for a career in immigration inspection. Graduate certificate and master's degree programs often require students to have experience working in the field of homeland security or in project management.
10 Schools With Criminal Justice Programs
This list of colleges and universities identifies some schools offering criminal justice and homeland security programs.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered|| Tuition
|Broward College||Fort Lauderdale, FL||4-year, primarily associate's, Public||Certificate, Associate's||Undergraduate: In-state $2,753; Out-of-state $8,875|
|California State University-Long Beach||Long Beach, CA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||Undergraduate: In-state $6,452; Out-of-state $17,612; Graduate: In-state $6,738; Out-of state $15,666|
|East Los Angeles College||Monterey Park, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||Undergraduate: In-state $1,220; Out-of-state $6,810|
|Excelsior College||Albany, NY||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's, Master's||Not Available|
|Florida International University||Miami, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||Undergraduate: In-state $6,556; Out-of-state $18,954; Graduate: In-state $8,912; Out-of state $21,393|
|Florida State University||Tallahassee, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||Undergraduate: In-state $6,507; Out-of-state $21,673; Graduate: In-state $9,684; Out-of state $24,116|
|Indiana University-Bloomington||Bloomington, IN||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||Undergraduate: In-state $10,388; Out-of-state $33,741; Graduate: In-state $8,442; Out-of state $26,812|
|Liberty University||Lynchburg, VA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Certificate, Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, Graduate Certificate||Undergraduate $20,109; Graduate $7,781|
|Lone Star College System||The Woodlands, TX||2-year, Public||Associate's||Undergraduate: In-district $1,504; In-state $3,184; Out-of-state $3,544|
|University of Maryland-University College||Adelphi, MD||4-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's, Graduate Certificate||Undergraduate: In-state $7,056; Out-of-state $12,336; Graduate: In-state $8,244; Out-of state $11,862|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Corrections Admin
- Corrections, Probation, and Parole
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies
- Criminal Science
- Forensic Science
- Juvenile Corrections
- Law Enforcement Administration
- Police Science and Law Enforcement
- Securities Services Mgmt
- Security and Theft Prevention Services
School Selection Criteria
There are several program considerations for students selecting a program in this field.
- When selecting an immigration inspector school, determine whether the school is accredited and has a formal internship or cooperative education program.
- The CBP's Student Career Experience Program allows students enrolled in accredited degree programs to work at CBP while completing school. Once students complete their degree programs, they are eligible to move into formal positions with CBP.
- Some master's degree programs require students to complete as much as a semester of study overseas. Living abroad may be difficult or impossible for individuals with families or working individuals, which may result in eliminating a program from consideration.
- Homeland security programs at all degree levels are offered online. This alternative schedule may make it easier for working individuals or individuals with children to complete their degree.
Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
An Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice with a specialization in Homeland Security program consists of about 90 credit hours. Internships in local law enforcement agencies are a common component of most curriculums.
Bachelor of Science in Homeland Security
Students in these 4-year degree programs are required to complete approximately 120 credit hours of study. Most programs require students to complete both an internship in the field and a capstone research project during their final year of study.
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security
Homeland security graduate certificate programs consist of 12-15 credit hours. Applicants for these programs are usually required to possess a bachelor's degree and have work experience in homeland security or a related field.
Master of Science in Homeland Security
Most of these programs require students to complete an internship and a thesis on a homeland security topic of their choice. Master's degree programs in homeland security consist of classes in border security and governance, project management, psychology of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.
Postsecondary training in criminal justice or homeland security can prepare individuals to become immigration inspectors. These programs range from undergraduate certificate studies to graduate degrees or certificates; prospective students should consider the program level that's ideal for their career goals.