Becoming a mammography technician generally requires an advanced certificate in mammography, in addition to a degree from a radiography program. Certificate programs train registered radiology technicians to use mammogram screening equipment and to evaluate the image.
Schools with Mammography Certificate Programs
Mammography certificate programs are available at the following schools:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degree Offered||Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|California State University - Northridge||Northridge, CA||4-year, Public||Certificate||$6,569 in-state, $17,729 out-of-state|
|SUNY Downstate Medical School||Brooklyn, NY||4-year, Public||Certificate||$6,470 in-state, $16,320 out-of-state|
|Pitt Community College||Winterville, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,317 in-state, $8,376 out-of-state|
|College of DuPage||Glen Ellyn, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate||$10,885 in-state, $12,985 out-of-state|
|Bunker Hill Community College||Boston, MA||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,576 in-state, $8,520 out-of-state|
|Aims Community College||Greeley, CO||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,756 in-state, $10,424 out-of-state|
|Community College of Denver||Denver, CO||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,509 in-state, $13,179 out-of-state|
|Chattanooga State Community College||Chattanooga, TN||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,973 in-state, $15,373 out-of-state|
|Kapi'olani Community College||Honolulu, HI||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,940 in-state, $7,932 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
School Selection Criteria
Students interested in mammography certificate programs may want to keep these considerations in mind when selecting their program:
- Programs are highly selective and students must have passed the ARRT certification exam.
- Students should look for programs that are aligned with the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) so that they are eligible to sit for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) certification examination in mammography when they finish.
- Students may want to find out about financial aid options, as well as alternative scheduling options that allow for continued employment.
- Students will likely benefit from courses that allow them to work with certified professionals and gain hands-on training.
Mammography Certificate Program Overview
Students in mammography certificate programs learn career skills through interactive experiences with radiology technology. Programs often require clinical rotations or an internship. The MQSA requires candidates to be reviewed and critiqued by a certified radiologist before completion of a program. Students must pass the ARRT exam in mammography before receiving certification.
Experienced radiologists can earn certificates in order to become mammography technicians. Most programs include real-world training and coursework that provides the necessary background to pass certification exams.