Schools for Aspiring Title Closers: How to Choose

Dec 10, 2019

A title closer works with both the buyer and the seller in a real estate transaction to ensure that the loan is 'closed' and the transfer of the title to the property's new owner is successfully concluded.

Top 10 Schools for Real Estate

The following schools offer outstanding real estate programs.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Tuition and Fees (2018-19)*
University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA 4-year, Private Bachelor's, Master's, Postgraduate Certificate Undergrad: $55,584
Grad: $38,630
University of Wisconsin - Madison Madison, WI 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's Undergrad: $10,555 in-state, $36,805 out-of-state
Grad: $12,010 in-state, $25,336 out-of-state
University of Georgia Athens, GA 4-year, Public Bachelor's $11,830 in-state, $30,404 out-of-state
University of California - Berkeley Berkeley, CA 4-year, Public Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral, Postgraduate Certificate Undergrad: $14,184 in-state, $43,176 out-of-state
Grad: $14,131 in-state, $29,233
University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA 4-year, Private Bachelor's $56,225
New York University New York, NY 4-year, Private Bachelor's, Master's, Postgraduate Certificate Undergrad: $51,828
Grad: $45,426
University of Florida Gainesville, FL 4-year, Public Master's $12,737 in-state, $29,302 out-of-state
University of Texas - Austin Austin, TX 4-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $10,610 in-state, $37,580 out-of-state
Marquette University Milwaukee, WI 4-year, Private Bachelor's $41,870
Florida State University Tallahassee, FL 4-year, Public Bachelor's $5,656 in-state, $18,786 out-of-state

*Source: National Center for Education Statistics

School Selection Criteria

Education programs at different degree levels can provide the necessary training to become a title closer. Consider the following when choosing a program:

  • Closers must be familiar with tax and real estate law and understand mortgages and legal documents.
  • Aspiring title closers can benefit from courses in business administration, so finding a program that incorporates these courses, such as a degree in business with a real estate emphasis, might be helpful.
  • College degrees in real estate combine business, finance, marketing and economics. An Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science degree can prepare students to work as title closers.

Associate's Degree in Real Estate

Students in an associate's degree program usually take general education classes in English, mathematics and social sciences along with courses in real estate. Job or field experience is often a required component of the program. Major-specific courses include agency and contract law, macroeconomics, financing, and brokerage.

Bachelor's Degree in Real Estate

Bachelor's degree programs cover the basic principles of real estate law and marketing. Some programs require an internship or thesis. Some programs are offered as a Bachelor of Business Administration in Real Estate. Course topics often include real estate development, principles of real estate, principles of accounting, macroeconomics, and calculus.

Master's Degree in Real Estate

Aspiring title closers who have extensive work experience, or who want to study property management and development, might wish to consider a master's program. A thesis or capstone project is usually required. Degree candidates study lease negotiation, property and asset management, entrepreneurship, and responsible investment.

Several schools offer real estate programs appropriate for title closer. Some schools may also offer business programs with a focus in real estate as an alternative.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?