Schools for Becoming a Claims Adjuster: How to Choose

Claims adjusters usually deal with evaluating and negotiating insurance claims and settlements. Degree programs to become an insurance claims adjuster are available at the associate degree and certificate levels; however, they are rare. Bachelor's degree programs in insurance and risk management can also lead to a position as a claims adjuster.

View Popular Schools

Claims adjuster certificate programs introduce students to the fundamental concepts of insurance claims, while associate degree programs provide in-depth instruction in insurance policies and operations. Bachelor's degree programs in insurance and risk management provide students with the essential knowledge in insurance, contracts and finance needed in the insurance industry.

Schools With Claims Adjusters Programs

These schools offer programs related to claims adjusting, such as risk management and insurance.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Tuition (2015-2016)*
American College of Financial Services Bryn Mawr, PA 4-Year, Private, not-for-profit Certificate $4,560
Baylor University Waco, TX 4-Year, Private, not-for-profit Bachelor's $40,198 (undergraduate)
Boston University Boston, MA 4-Year, Public Graduate Certificate, Master's $47,422 (graduate)
Florida State College Jacksonville, FL 4-Year, Public Certificate, Associate $2,830 in-state; $9,944 out-of-state (undergraduate)
Georgia State University Atlanta, GA 4-Year, Public Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral, Graduate Certificate $8,974 in-state (undergraduate); $6,876 in-state (graduate)
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN 4-Year, Public Bachelor's $13,790 in-state; $22,210 out-of-state (undergraduate)
University of North Texas Denton, TX 4-Year, Public Bachelor's $9,730 in-state; $19,090 out-of-state (undergraduate)
Washington State University Pullman, WA 4-Year, Public Bachelor's $11,967 in-state; $25,567 out-of-state (undergraduate)
  • Sources: School Websites and National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)

School Selection Criteria

Students who aspire to become claims adjusters can pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees in risk management and insurance. Further considerations for students in this field include:

  • A wide variety of college majors can serve as preparation for work as a claims adjuster.
  • Finance programs may also offer concentration areas, minors, internships and research opportunities in insurance.
  • A school offering the program via online formats may give out-of-state and working students the opportunity to participate.

Insurance Claims Adjuster Certificate

Certificate programs in claims adjusting explore the basics of investigating and processing insurance claims. The program culminates in a real-world practicum for hands-on experience working in insurance claims adjusting.

Associate of Applied Science: Insurance Claims Adjuster

Insurance claims adjuster associate degree programs investigate theories and procedures used in claims investigation and negotiation. Hands-on training may be conducted through a practicum or an internship in the field.

Bachelor's Degree in Insurance and Risk Management

These programs train students to analyze statistical data and financial models to predict the risk a company or individual may have for accidents or catastrophes. Mentoring and internship opportunities may be available in the field of claims adjusting.

Aspiring claims adjusters can find certificate, associate degree and bachelor's degree programs in related fields, as well as graduate degrees. These programs explore facets of insurance as related to businesses, such as claims and investigation, finance and risk management.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?