Schools for Becoming a Claims Representative: How to Choose

Dec 09, 2019

Students interested in becoming claims representatives can enroll in certificate, associate degree and bachelor's degree programs in insurance and risk management. These programs are available through many 2-year community colleges and 4-year universities.

A claims representative, otherwise known as a claims examiner, reviews and verifies the accuracy of insurance claims in order to determine policy coverage.

Schools With Claims Representative Programs

The following colleges and universities offer various degree types that will prepare students for careers as claims representatives.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Tuition (2018-2019)*
Bradley University Peoria, IL 4-year, Private not-for-profit Bachelor's $33,760
Butler University Indianapolis, IN 4-year, Private not-for-profit Bachelor's $41,120
Clark State Community College Springfield, OH 2-year, Public Associate's $3,728 (in-state), $6,880 (out-of-state)
Columbus Technical College Columbus, GA 2-year, Public Certificate $2,778 (in-state), $4,914 (out-of-state)
Eastern Kentucky University Richmond, KY 4-year, Public Bachelor's $9,666 (in-state), $19,444 (out-of-state)
Gannon University Erie, PA 4-year, Private not-for-profit Bachelor's $32,136
Temple University Philadelphia, PA 4-year, Public Bachelor's $16,970 (in-state), $29,066 (out-of-state)
University of Central Arkansas Conway, AR 4-year, Public Bachelor's $8,752 (in-state), $15,275 (out-of-state)
University of Georgia Athens, GA 4-year, Public Certificate, Bachelor's, PhD $11,830 (in-state), $30,404 (out-of-state)

Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics

School Selection Criteria

Further considerations for students in this field include:

  • Students should review the licensing regulations in their individual states to ensure that prospective educational programs meet state standards and prepare them for a licensing exam if necessary.
  • Students should consider whether their prior education or work experience is relevant to the field; for example, those with knowledge of medical procedures, healthcare billing codes and legal regulations can enter the field as a health insurance claims representative, while students holding an automotive technology degree, or who have prior experience in the auto industry, can find work in auto insurance claims.
  • Internships and independent projects may be offered at the bachelor's degree level and could help students specialize in a chosen field and develop professional connections.
  • Working students can find programs with online courses that allow for schedule flexibility.

Certificate in Insurance

Certificate programs in insurance can be completed in one year or less. Courses cover basic skills such as customer service and data entry. Some programs allow students to choose certificate specializations, such as risk management, property and liability insurance or life and health insurance. Some certificate programs are geared towards entry-level students, while others are offered as continuing education options or are designed to supplement a major, such as finance or business.

Associate Degree in Insurance and Risk Management

Associate degree programs discuss various types of insurance, such as business, personal, life, health and property insurance. Some general education courses are required.

Bachelor's Degree in Insurance and Risk Management

Bachelor's degree programs allow for further specialization in the field of insurance and risk management, in addition to providing opportunities to study business-oriented subjects. Internships may be required for program completion.

In summary, there are a number of programs at both community colleges and 4-year universities that will prepare individuals for careers as claims representatives.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?