Although programs focused solely on confectioneries are not typically available, students may enroll in baking and pastry or cake decorating programs for similar training. These programs may be found at many adult and continuing education departments at technical and community colleges.
10 Schools with a Confectionary Program
These schools offer programs with confectionary training.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition and Fees 2015-2016*|
|University of Richmond||Richmond, VA||4-year, Private||Certificate||$48,090|
|Delaware Technical Community College||Dover, DE||2-year, Public||Certificate, Diploma||$3,632 in-state, $8,522 out-of-state|
|Erie Community College||Buffalo, NY||2-year, Public||Certificate||$5,189 in-state, $9,784 out-of-state|
|White Mountains Community College||Berlin, NH||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate||$7,344 in-state, $15,504 out-of-state|
|Grand Rapids Community College||Grand Rapids, MI||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,051 in-district, $6,027 in-state, $8,715 out-of-state|
|College of Southern Nevada||Las Vegas, NV||4-year, Public||Certificate, Associate||$2,805 in-state, $94,50 out-of-state|
|Colorado Mesa University||Grand Junction, CO||4-year, Public||Certificate, Associate||$7,474 in-state, $18,072 out-of-state|
|Long Beach City College||Long Beach, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate||$$1,182 in-state, $$7,398 out-of-state|
|Florida Technical College||Orlando, FL||4-year, Public||Certificate||$17,439|
|Orange Coast College||Costa Mesa, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate||$1,182 in-state, $6,584 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Baking and Pastry Arts
- Catering and Restaurant Management
- Chef Training
- Food Preparation
- Food Server and Dining Room Mgmt
- Institutional Food Worker
- Meat Cutting
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for a confectionery program:
- Students may choose between a more generalized baking and pastry arts program, in which they learn to prepare a wide range of desserts, or a more specialized cake decoration program.
- Look for schools that offer hands-on experience with current confectionary equipment, internships, or the opportunity to train with experienced professionals.
- Courses in hospitality or marketing may be helpful for students interested in working at hotels; courses in bakery management or finance could help students who wish to own their own bakery.
- Schools should be accredited, and employers may prefer schools with high designations from the American Culinary Federation Foundation Accrediting Commission.
Baking and Pastry Arts Certificate
Certificate programs in baking and pastry arts may be completed in 1-2 semesters. Coursework can cover various baked goods and desserts, as well as business management subjects.
Cake Decoration Certificate
Cake decoration certificate programs can be completed in 1-2 semesters. Hands-on coursework trains students in areas that may include icing, fondant, gum paste, cake construction and flower designs.
When looking for a confectionary program, prospective students should consider whether they want a specialized or broad education, as well as whether a program is accredited. Other considerations include the possibility of taking business courses and whether a program offers hands-on training and internships.