Students interested in a graduate literacy program should have a bachelor's degree in a teaching-related field to be considered for admission. Some schools do offer this program online.
Ten Schools with Literacy Programs
Further information about schools with literacy programs is shown below:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degree Offered||Graduate Tuition (2015-2016)*|
|The University of Iowa||Iowa City, IA||4 year, Public||Doctorate||$8,396 in state; $25,574 out of state|
|Western Michigan University||Kalamazoo, MI||4 year, Public||Master||$12,727 in state; $26,958 out of state|
|The College of New Jersey||Ewing, NJ||4 year, Public||Master||$12,510 in state; $19,728 out of state|
|Teachers College at Columbia University||New York, NY||4 year, Private not-for-profit||Master||$34,896|
|Edinboro University||Edinboro, PA||4 year, Public||Master||$8,460 in state; $12,690 out of state|
|Rowan University||Glassboro, NJ||4 year, Public||Master||$12,870|
|University of North Dakota||Grand Forks, ND||4 year, Public||Master||$7,044 in state; $18,807 out of state|
|Adelphi University||Garden City, NY||4 year, Private not-for-profit||Master||$35,800|
|West Virginia University||Morgantown, WV||4 year, Public||Master||$8,568 in state; $22,140 out of state|
|Indiana University of Pennsylvania||Indiana, PA||4 year, Public||Master||$8,460 in state; $12,690 out of state|
Source: National Center for Education Statistics & individual school websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
School Selection Criteria
- Although rare, teaching experience requirements for admission may vary from a bachelor's degree, with some schools accepting tutoring or childcare experience as an alternative.
- Most graduates with a literacy degree desire a career in teaching; however, there are different areas of focus within a literacy program that may impact their teaching specialty.
- Students who want to design their own programs can choose a school that takes an interdisciplinary approach and offers the freedom to choose a variety of courses.
- It's important to find a school that complies with the teaching requirements of the state in which a student wishes to teach.
Master's Degree in Literacy
In a master's degree program, students learn to teach children at all levels, from kindergarten through high school. Prerequisites vary from school to school, but all programs require a bachelor's degree.
Certificate in Literacy
Certificate programs usually emphasize a particular area of literacy and require a bachelor's degree and teaching certificate or credential prior to admission. Coursework varies depending on the specialization; however, most programs require between 12-20 units in courses that directly relate to the area of study.
Ph.D. in Literacy
In a Ph.D. program, students usually work with an adviser to create a course of study and develop a dissertation topic. A master's degree is often required for admission and many programs require professional teaching experience in language or literacy.
Literacy degrees are master and doctorate level programs found at colleges and universities. A prior bachelor's degree, teaching experience and credentialing are often required for admission.