Students interested in electrical estimating can enroll in certificate, associate degree and bachelor's degree programs in construction or electrical systems cost estimating, electrical technology, electrical engineering or construction management. Such programs are available at both 2- and 4-year colleges.
10 Electrical or Construction Estimating Schools
The following list includes a number of public and private schools that offer electrical or construction estimating programs.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Undergraduate Tuition (2015-2016)|
|San Diego State University||San Diego, CA||4-year, Public||Certificate||$3,564 (total program cost)|
|Anne Arundel Community College||Arnold, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate||$479 for Anne Arundel County residents (total program cost)|
|Johnson County Community College||Overland Park, KS||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-district $2,730; In-state $3,180; Out-of-state $6,420|
|Dunwoody College of Technology||Minneapolis, MN||4-year, Private||Associate's||$20,194|
|Lone Star College System||The Woodlands, TX||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-district $1,504; In-state $3,184; Out-of-state $3,544|
|Coastal Carolina Community College||Jacksonville, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate, Diploma||In-state $2,334; Out-of-state $8,478|
|Fayetteville Technical Community College||Fayetteville, NC||2-year, Public||Certificate, Diploma, Associate's||In-state $2,394; Out-of-state $8,538|
|Anoka Technical College||Anoka, MN||2-year, Public||Diploma, Associate's||$5,584|
|Long Beach City College||Long Beach, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||In-state $1,182; Out-of-state $7,398|
|North Dakota State College of Science||Wahpeton, ND||2-year, Public||Associate's||In-state $4,571; Out-of-state $10,850|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Building Inspection
- Concrete Finishing
- Construction Mgmt, General
- Construction Site Management
- Drywall Installation
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Electrical Systems Lineworker
- Facilities Management
- Furniture Making
- Home Equipment and Furnishings Installer
- Home Improvement
- House Painting and Wall Paper
- Metal Building Assembly
- Plumbing Technology
- Property Management and Maintenance
- Well Drilling
School Selection Criteria
There are a few considerations for students interested in this field:
- Students can either select a certificate program in cost estimating that focuses more generally on construction management, or one that specifically concentrates on electrical estimating.
- Students may seek bachelor's degree programs in electrical engineering that offer more hands-on training in the form of internships or on-campus practicums.
- Currently employed students, specifically those enrolling in continuing education programs to enhance their professional credentials, may prefer the flexibility of online course scheduling.
- It may be helpful to look for programs approved by the American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE), an organization that offers professional certification in the field. ASPE-approved programs can prepare students for the organization's certification process.
Certificate in Cost Estimating
Career certificate programs in construction or electrical systems cost estimating can be completed in one semester or one year, online or on campus. Coursework may include estimating, bidding, blueprint and plan reading and plumbing estimation.
Associate Degree in Electrical Technology
Associate degree programs in electrical technology can be completed in two years, and course credits can be transferred if a student decides to continue study for a bachelor's degree.
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Bachelor's degree programs in electrical engineering can be completed in four years, and some require a capstone project for successful completion. Coursework often includes electronic design, circuits, digital electronics, networks and electrical systems.
Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management
Bachelor's degree programs in construction management commonly focus on the diverse components of construction projects, including finance, accounting and safety. A senior research project may be required prior to graduation. Other topics include cost estimating, project design, management, surveying and materials.
It is possible to pursue a certificate in cost estimating, or to complete a certificate, diploma, associate's degree or bachelor's degree in a related field to prepare for a career as an electrical estimator.