Schools with Medical Claims & Billing Specialist Programs

Dec 06, 2019

Medical claims and billing certificate programs and health administrative services associate degree programs are offered for students who wish to work as medical coders and billers. These can be provided through the healthcare departments of technical colleges or career institutes, as well as the continuing education departments of 4-year universities.

Schools with Medical Claims and Billing Specialist Programs

The following list includes a number of public and private schools that offer certificates, diplomas, and associate's degrees in medical claims and billing.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Undergraduate Tuition (2018-2019)*
Barton County Community College Great Bend, KS 2-year, Public Certificate $3,584
Brookline College Phoenix, AZ & other locations 4-year, Private for-profit Diploma $15,225
Ivy Tech Community College Indianapolis, IN & other locations 2-year, Public Certificate In-state $4,368; Out-of-state $8,402
Mendocino College Ukiah, CA 2-year, Public Certificate In-state $1,423; Out-of-state $7,783
Mercy College of Ohio Toledo, OH 4-year, Private not-for-profit Certificate $15,240
Panola College Carthage, TX 2-year, Public Certificate In-district $1,920; In-state $3,264; Out-of-state $4,152
Purdue University Global-Hagerstown Hagerstown, MD 2-year, Private for-profit Certificate $14,343
Quest College San Antonio, TX 2-year, Private for-profit Certificate $17,875

Sources: *National Center for Education Statistics (NCES); School websites

School Selection Criteria

Consider the following when selecting a medical claims and billing program:

  • Students should ensure the program offers courses catering to their desired career path and current experience in medical office administration.
  • It's a good idea to check out the program's curriculum; a comprehensive medical claims and billing program will include courses in preparing and processing insurance and billing documentation, ICD-D, CPT and HCPS coding, clinical and laboratory procedures, reimbursement practices and effective communication with patients.
  • It is important to find out what kind of relationships the school has with employers to help find work after completing the program; applicants can check if the school has a placement office.
  • Programs are offered at both public and private institutions, including for-profit schools, which can vary in cost quite a bit; some public colleges offer tuition discounts to local or in-state students.

Certificate in Medical Claims and Billing

Certificate programs generally take a few weeks or months to complete. Graduates are prepared for entry-level administrative positions in healthcare settings. All programs include the mastery of ICD-9, HCPCS, and CPT-4 coding. The terminology used by the medical field, including terms used to describe human anatomy, is an integral part of any program.

Associate of Science in Health Administrative Services

Associate degree programs tend to include general education requirements such as English composition, literature, and math, and they usually last at least one year. Some also give the student more of a background in computer programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.

A number of 2- and 4- year colleges and universities offer medical billing programs where students can opt to pursue a certificate, diploma, or associate's degree. Programs are offered at both public and private institutions, and students should consider costs, curriculum and job placement when choosing a school.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?