PHP programming education is offered through specialized certificate programs, as well as through courses within broader computer science and information technology/systems programs. Courses and programs are available at colleges and universities around the country.
School Selection Criteria
Here are some schools that offer relevant educational programs:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Programs Offered||Tuition and Fees (2016-2017)*|
|University of Southern California||Los Angeles, CA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's||$52,283|
|Virginia Tech||Blacksburg, VA||4-year, Public||Master's||$14,532 in-state, $27,160 out-of-state|
|Boston University||Boston, MA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's||$49,886|
|Champlain College||Burlington, VT||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Certificate||$1,920 per course**|
|Johns Hopkins University (Whiting)||Baltimore, MD||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Master's||$52,210|
|Auburn University||Auburn, AL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, PhD||$10,696 in-state undergrad, $10,696 in-state grad|
|North Carolina State University||Raleigh, NC||4-year, Public||Certificate||$8,880 in-state, $26,399 out-of-state|
|Sam Houston State University||Huntsville, TX||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$7,762 in-state, $17,554 out-of-state|
|Pace University||New York, NY||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Certificate||$2,497**|
|Syracuse University||Syracuse, NY||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Bachelor's||$45,022|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics, **School websites
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer Games and Programming Skills
- Computer Programming for Applications
- Computer Programming for Certifications
School Selection Criteria
Here are some things to consider when choosing between programs that cover PHP:
- Because some PHP courses are included within broader degree and certificate programs, while other programs only cover PHP programming, prospective students should carefully examine the curriculum to make sure it meets their educational needs.
- Prospective students should find out if the training in PHP programming is offered at the beginning or advanced level and ensure that they meet the program's prerequisites, since some higher-level courses require prerequisite courses in computer science.
- Working professionals who want to advance their skills in PHP without committing to a full-time program may want to look for online certificate programs that accommodate individual scheduling needs.
- When considering campus-based programs, prospective students may want to look into the school's computer lab facilities, in order to make sure that students gain experience with the latest computer hardware and software.
Associate's Degree Programs
At the associate's degree level, PHP programming and development fundamentals may be taught as part of a more general computer programming curriculum. These programs typically include introductory courses in programming and development, so no previous experience is required. In addition to PHP-related courses, students must also fulfill general education requirements.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
Coursework in PHP programming is often included within bachelor's degree programs in computer science, information technology or a related subject. Like associate's degree programs, they begin with introductory courses in programming languages. From there, students can build on their skills with more advanced PHP-related courses. Introductory PHP programming courses cover fundamentals such as strings, functions and debugging; higher-level courses may highlight applications of PHP for web development.
Master's Degree Programs
Some schools offer broad master's degree programs that cover a wide range of topics in information technology, including PHP programming. Others provide more specialized master's degree programs that focus primarily on web application development, which involves the use of PHP. To get into one of these programs, you may need to have previous computer programming experience.
Certificate programs that cover PHP are available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Often, these programs are available in online formats, and students may be permitted to complete courses at their own pace. For individuals who want to focus their studies on PHP programming, there are certificates that focus entirely on the subject. Topics of study within these programs can include web development with PHP, PHP Pro Internet applications, and MySQL development.
Individuals who want to learn about PHP programming and development can find relevant programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Because curricula can vary significantly, it is important to consider the program's requirements before enrolling.