Public interest lawyers deal with a variety of public issues from the welfare of children to protecting the environment. Studies in this field are typically incorporated into Juris Doctor (JD) programs, and some schools offer specific academic tracks in a public interest field.
Top 10 Schools with Law Programs
In 2016, U.S. News and World Report ranked the following law schools as having the top law programs in the country:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Tuition and fees (2015-2016)|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||Private||$58,050|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||Private||$58,242|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||Private||$56,274|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||Private||$62,700|
|University of Chicago||Chicago, IL||Private||$56,916|
|New York University||New York, NY||Private||$59,330|
|University of Pennsylvania||Philadelphia, PA||Private||$58,918|
|University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA||Public||$48,679 in-state, $52,630 out-of-state|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||Public||$53,112 in-state, $56,112 out-of-state|
|University of Virginia||Charlottesville, VA||Public||$54,000 in-state, $57,000 out-of-state|
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advanced Legal Research
- Comparative Law
- Energy and Environmental Law
- Financial, Banking, and Securities Law
- Health Law
- International Business, Trade, and Tax Law
- International Law
- Law Degree
- PreLaw Studies
- Programs for Foreign Lawyers
- Tax Law
- US Law
School Selection criteria
The following items are noteworthy to consider when selecting a law school:
- Students should review various law school websites to find out how important public interest law is to each school's core values.
- It is also important to note how many graduates move on to work in the public interest area of the legal field.
- Students may want to look for schools that offer internship and funded pro bono work opportunities in public interest law.
- Students may want to look for schools that provide one-on-one faculty support for future lawyers.
Program Overview - Juris Doctor Programs with an Emphasis on Public Interest
Law schools around the country do not typically offer public interest law degree programs, but some do offer certificates in the area. A number of schools also give students the opportunity to focus their studies in the public interest law arena. A review of a school's curriculum will show its dedication to public interest law. Some schools offer post-graduate fellowships.
When choosing a JD program, aspiring public interest laws should look for highly-ranked schools that support students who are interested in the field and provide relevant coursework and practical training opportunities.