Overview of Seattle , WA
Located on the eastern shore of Puget Sound, Seattle possesses over 200 miles of fresh and salt water shorelines. Puget Sound is home to about 300 islands. It's also home to 10 Fortune 500 companies. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) notes that the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had a civilian workforce of just over 2.1 million and an unemployment rate of 3.9% in March 2018. Unemployment has fallen steadily from 4.5% in January 2018. In May 2017, the BLS reported the average hourly wage in the Seattle area to be $30.35, well above the national average.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Several large companies are headquartered in Seattle; the largest of these employs more than 80,000 workers. According to the Economic Development Council of Seattle and King County, the following were the top 10 largest employers in King County, which includes Seattle, in 2015.
- The Boeing Company
- Microsoft Corporation
- University of Washington
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- King County Government
- Starbucks Corp.
- Swedish Health Services
- City of Seattle
- Costco Wholesale Corp.
- Group Health Cooperative
Computer-related careers will be among the fastest growing in Seattle in the coming years. The Washington State Employment Security Department reported that the following were projected to be among the fastest-growing occupations in terms of average annual growth rate in Seattle/King County from 2020-2025:
- Web Developers
- Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health
- Designers, All Other
- Anthropologists and Archeologists
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Postsecondary Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Computer and Information Research Scientists