Speech and Language Pathology Bachelors Degree Information

Students interested in the field of speech and language pathology may earn a Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology, although most speech-language pathologists are required to earn a master's degree before they can gain licensure. Learn more about the courses and requirements for a bachelor's degree as well as the job opportunities available.

Essential Information

Speech and language pathology professionals are responsible for diagnosing and treating individuals who suffer from speech, language or cognitive-communication disorders. There are 4- and 5-year bachelor's degree programs in speech-language pathology, and an institution may offer a pre-professional bachelor's degree program as a segue into a master's degree program. Schools also offer combination bachelor's/master's degree programs requiring the completion of clinical, supervised experiences.

Before enrolling a student must have a high school diploma or GED, and may be required to take prerequisite courses such as language disorders, audiology and language development.

During a bachelor's degree program, students learn to diagnose communication and oral function disorders while providing various rehabilitative services related to speech therapy. A typical bachelor's degree program includes two years of general and liberal education courses and two years of professional speech-language pathology-related courses, along with one year of a clinical internship experience.

Bachelor's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology

The courses in a bachelor's degree program in speech and language pathology focus on communication disorders as well as practical clinical experience. Common examples of courses are listed below:

  • American sign language
  • Human communication
  • Descriptive phonetics
  • Normal human language development
  • Audiology
  • Language disorders

Popular Career Options

Speech-language pathologists generally need a master's degree in the field in order to gain employment. Graduates of a bachelor's degree program are eligible for the following positions:

  • Speech technician
  • Speech pathologist technician
  • Speech language assistant
  • Rehab technician
  • Human language technology technician

Continuing Education

To work as a speech language pathologist, one must obtain licensure from the state of employment. Requirements vary by the particular state. The most common educational requirement is a master's degree in speech-language pathology.

A career in speech and language pathology occupations begins with earning a Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?