School and Ranking Information
Of the four schools with programs related to teacher education, one of them is a 2-year public school offering associate degrees. Two others are private schools with high student expenses. Based on available programs and affordability, the following school is the top school in the area for teacher education:
- Winner : The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is a 4-year public school. It offers teacher and school administrator programs through the College of Health, Education & Professional Studies. The college awards a Bachelor of Science with a variety of concentrations, a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree in either school leadership, special education, elementary education, or secondary education, and a doctoral degree in learning and leadership.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
School Info Chart
|Category||University of Tennessee--Chattanooga|
|Rankings||Tied for #23 in Top Public Schools (2015); #158 in Best Graduate Education Schools (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2014-2015)||$8,138 (in-state), $24,256 (out-of-state)*|
|Teacher Education Degrees Offered||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate|
|Teacher Education Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2014||303**|
|Most Popular Teacher Education Degree Level in 2014||Bachelor's**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||37%**|
|Noteworthy||Students wishing to become special education teachers in Tennessee receive tuition remission***|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***University of Tennessee--Chattanooga
University of Tennessee--Chattanooga
- Partnerships with a range of different communities can help produce varied classroom experience
- Undergraduate students must advance through a series of checkpoints to advance through the major
- Before students can become student teachers they must pass a Praxis exam
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga was founded in 1886 as Chattanooga University, a private school. In 1969, it merged with the University of Tennessee system to serve the entire state. The College of Health, Education & Professional Studies at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga consists of seven departments, including social work, physical therapy, the School of Education and the School of Nursing. The School of Education prepares students to become licensed early childhood, elementary and secondary education teachers or school administrators.
The Bachelor's of Science program includes a range of options for education students. Students can select a specialty in Early Childhood, Middle Grades, Secondary Studies, or Exceptional Learning. Each of these programs lead to licensure, with the exception of a subset of Early Childhood. The Middle Grades and Secondary specialities also allow future teachers to further specialize. The students can select what course they wish to someday teach.
The Master of Education in Elementary Education allows students to choose from a licensure or non-licensure track. The non-licensure track is aimed at teachers who are already licensed, but want to improve and broaden their professional skills. The licensure track is for students pursuing their teaching license.
The Master of Education in Secondary Education provides students with a broad understanding of various topics that a secondary education teacher may encounter, including the effect of multiculturalism on educational policy and classroom learning, the ethics behind the pupil and teacher relationship, and different approaches to research in education. This program offers both a licensure and non-licensure track. Non-licensure degree candidates can choose from concentrations such as arts, English, health education and math.
The Master of Education in Special Education is designed for professionals who have received an initial degree in special education. The degree program also provides choices for individuals who are in pursuit of their first license in special education. Students can choose one of two concentrations in this program: early childhood special education or mild disabilities.
The Master of Education in School Leadership is a program that focuses on instructional leadership and requires a large amount of supervised field experience in a school. Students can choose from a teacher leadership concentration or a principal licensure concentration. The teacher leadership concentration is targeted at students who aim to become teacher leaders within their schools but are not interested in licensure as a principal. Meanwhile, the principal leadership concentration is aimed at those who expect to apply for a position that will require endorsement as a principal/supervisor.
The Post-Master's Certificate Program in School Leadership is geared towards those who have already obtained a master degree in education and want to procure a license/certificate as a school administrator or principal/supervisor. Students in this program must have at least three years of teaching experience. Courses include school laws, culture and climate, school management and leadership practices for school improvement.
Finally, the Doctorate in Learning and Leadership is an intensive study into the major questions of all education programs, including measuring performance and performing leadership. Students must pass an exam after the first half of the program. After successfully completing the exam, students begin work on their dissertations.