School and Ranking Information
Only two schools within ten miles of Richmond have programs related to teaching. One is a 4-year private, not-for-profit school. The other is a public school with one of the best education programs in the country. Based on rankings, the following school is the top school in the area to study teaching:
- Winner : Virginia Commonwealth University offers master's and doctoral degree programs in teacher education and school administration to prepare students to become teachers or school administrators. It is one of the top 100 public schools in the nation and has one of the top 30 education schools.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
School Info Chart
|Category||Virginia Commonwealth University|
|Rankings||Tied for #84 in Top Public Schools (2015); #30 Best Education Schools (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2014-2015)||$12,398 (in-state), $29,847 (out-of-state)*|
|Teaching Degrees Offered||Master's, Doctorate**|
|Teaching Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||218**|
|Most Popular Teaching Degree Level in 2013||Master's**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||57%**|
|Noteworthy||A large and well funded department: the school has spent more than $25 million on research alone***|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University
- All education programs attempt a well balanced curriculum by mixing research with in class teaching
- Onsite student teaching occurs in the surrounding urban community, providing benefits to the local community
- School accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and also a member of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education
Virginia Commonwealth University is a 4-year public school. It operates two main campuses, both of which are located in Richmond. The School of Education offers a Master of Teaching with concentrations in early childhood and elementary education or secondary education, a Master of Education in Special Education, a Master of Education in Educational Leadership with a concentration in administration and supervision and a Doctor of Philosophy with a concentration in educational leadership. The teacher education programs prepare graduates for the state's teacher licensing exams and the Master of Education program prepares graduates for the state's administrative licensing exams.
The Master of Teaching with a Concentration in Early Childhood and Elementary Education program focuses on teaching children from infancy through grade six. Students simultaneously earn a Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies and their master's degree. Coursework focuses on the state's core learning subjects, which include English, math, science and social science. Teaching-specific coursework covers education ethics, classroom management, children's literature, human development and teaching methods. Students complete internships at local public schools.
The Master of Teaching with a Concentration in Secondary Education program focuses on teaching a single subject to children in grades 6-12. Graduates earn a bachelor's degree in their chosen field and a Master of Teaching degree. Subjects of concentration include physics, chemistry, English, math and biology. Students complete coursework in their chosen subject while learning general teaching skills and theories, such as curriculum development and educational psychology. They also complete internships.
The Master of Education in Special Education is a 37-credit hour program focusing on the teaching skills necessary to work with special needs children in elementary, middle and high schools. Classes focus on problem recognition, behavior management and teaching reading. Students also complete internships, and those without teaching experience complete additional field experiences.
The Master of Education in Educational Leadership with a Concentration in Administration and Supervision is geared towards licensed teachers with a minimum of two years of teaching experience. This program focuses on the many facets of public school administration. Courses cover education laws, fiscal management and human resources management. Elective course options include school organizational theories and curriculum development. Students must pass an assessment test prior to graduation.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Education with a Concentration in Educational Leadership is a 48-credit hour program designed to provide superintendents and principals with leadership training. Students learn administration techniques, educational evaluation, research methods and instruction theories. They also complete an internship and write a dissertation.